PDA

View Full Version : Open Brain Problem

travie
02-01-2009, 06:02 PM
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3256.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3257.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3258.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii148/travie_07/29g%20SW%20Pictures/Corals%201-24-09/DSCF3263.jpg

The problem is evident in the pictures. All other corals look to be doing fine. I have had a recent outbreak of a little cyano and hair algae. I did a water change and am skimming a little more wet then usual to help clean the water. Is there anything I can do? Besides keeping the water as clean as possible. Thanks for any help.

travie

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-01-2009, 06:17 PM
Did anything get dropped on it either by your or one of the other tank inhabitants? Any Tangs or Centropyge angels in the tank? How about hermit crabs?
Another option is head division. Most LPS will reproduce by head division, even Trachyphyllia species.

Rue
02-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Mine had issues when I got it...way back when. It's skeleton was showing.

My LFS said to put it in the shade...so I did...and it recovered.

Don't know if it was the shade, or just luck...but it worked...

travie
02-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Mine had issues when I got it...way back when. It's skeleton was showing.

My LFS said to put it in the shade...so I did...and it recovered.

Don't know if it was the shade, or just luck...but it worked...

I guess I'll try this.

Did anything get dropped on it either by your or one of the other tank inhabitants? Any Tangs or Centropyge angels in the tank? How about hermit crabs?
Another option is head division. Most LPS will reproduce by head division, even Trachyphyllia species.

Nothing that I know of dropped on it. No fish. Hermits crabs yes, but I haven't really seen any bother the brain while I watch the tank.

kaybee
02-01-2009, 08:58 PM
In addition to what's been recommended you may want to try feeding it 2x-3x a week if you aren't already. Feeding, while not an absolute requirement with healthy trachyphyllias, will increase growth and regeneration rate as well as slow/reverse any tissue recession that may be in going on.

travie
02-01-2009, 09:05 PM
In addition to what's been recommended you may want to try feeding it 2x-3x a week if you aren't already. Feeding, while not an absolute requirement with healthy trachyphyllias, will increase growth and regeneration rate as well as slow/reverse any tissue recession that may be in going on.

I've fed it krill a couple times since I've got it, which has only one to two weeks ago. Should I be finding it something different or is krill going to be fine?

Just curious, with a healthy open brain, how often should I directly feed it? I've planned to feed it around twice a week.

Rue
02-01-2009, 09:23 PM
I used mysis and Cyclopeeze - maybe alternate meals?

I just carefully squeezed the Cyclopeeze on the extented tentacles...it grabbed on quite easily and was soon happily stuffing its face (gotta luv watching a brain eat!)...

Twice a week should be good...

kaybee
02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
A healthy open brain theoretically can thrive on light alone. I feed mine 'a bunch' of mysis shrimp once or twice a week (it could easily consume an entire cube of mysis shrimp if given the opportunity). It's doubled in size since I acquired it in 2007.

Due to the size of trachyphyllia tentacles and maw larger 'food stuff' seem best for them. If it can take krill, continue to feed it that. Mysis shrimp and something like chopped krill-sized portions of silversides would work too.

travie
02-02-2009, 03:37 AM
Came home from a Super Bowl party, and I planned to feed it directly. But of course, it doesn't have its tentacles out. Probably the first night since I bought it that it doesn't have them out.

travie
02-02-2009, 03:47 AM
Nevermind, the tentacles decided to come out. Must have knew I was coming home, so it retracted them. Fed it a piece of krill, took it in like it is healthy.

jimpierce
02-08-2009, 06:47 AM
that looks like the kind of brain I have been having trouble with. Mine still won't eat but at least it is swelling up. It recessed showing skeleton too.

kaybee
02-08-2009, 02:21 PM
I wonder if the red trachyphyllia's are harder to keep than the green ones.

travie
02-08-2009, 02:23 PM

I would say yes. Mine is still looking bad, but it is still putting out feeder tentacles though.

jimpierce
02-08-2009, 04:57 PM
got mine beat. I have yet to see the feeder tentacles.

labnjab
02-09-2009, 12:20 PM

My green one is hardy. I accidentally dropped a decent sized rock on it Friday while rearranging a few coral, and it didn't faze it other then it closing up a half hour. No sign of damage, and it still opens fully and extends feeders at night.

I hope it pulls though travie