PDA

View Full Version : Question about catfish and meds

Sasquatch
02-06-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi all.

I have a catfish in a quarantine tank right now and because the quarantine cycled, nitrites rose pretty high. While I don't think that the nitrites cause any problems directly, he seems to have a little problem with fungus on his body.

It doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but if it does I'd like to know if our fungus med is compatible with catfish.

It's "Fungus Clear Tank Buddies" by Jungle Laboratories and the active ingredients are:
- Nitrofurazone
- Furazolidone
- Potassium dichromate

Are these safe for my catfish? I'd like to get him into the main tank, but don't want to transfer him while he's got a potential fungal infection.

Thanks.

minabird
02-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Sasquatch-

A friend of mine tried a Jungle Labs cure for fungus, but I'm not sure if it's the same one as you have. She didn't have much luck getting rid of her cory's mouth fungus with it. She used Mardell's Maracyn and it cleared it right up.

I"m gonna try that next since I have 2 cories with fungus; an albino with it on one of his eyes and an emerald with it just above its mouth. I've also tried melafix, primafix, and erythromycin previously to cure it but with no luck.

newt0524
02-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Hey

Catfish are not really compatible with ay meds as they have skin and not scales. I have had to dose 2 of my cats and found that you need to half the dosage and extend the treatment time. That is the safest way to treat them.

Dose the tank with melafix first, then use your meds. The melafix should help to protect the skin of your catfish while being treated.

good luck.

newt

Lady Hobbs
02-13-2007, 06:20 PM
Having the same problem right now myself. My featherfin has a case of fungus so I will have to chance it to treat it.

Sasquatch
02-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. In the end, we didn't have to treat.

We kept him in quarantine for an extra week and continued with the 20% daily water changes. The fungus cleared up by itself, so no meds were needed.

We transfered him to the display tank on Saturday night and as of this morning he's swimming well, eating like a pig and no signs of any problems.

Hobbs: Best of luck and let us know how things go.

kimmers318
02-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Glad all worked out for you Sasquatch, remember the experience for the future, alot of the time "issues" with fish can be helped along simply by having clean water, and meds are not needed.

cocoa_pleco
02-13-2007, 10:55 PM
im with kimmers. Ive learnt clean water and extra water changes are much easier and less stressful than treating a fish

countryblue
02-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Hi all I'm new to this site...picked up two platy's last week then noticed they both have fin rot...noticed it on the tail..pet store said they have been having that problem from the supplier...they gave me melafix to use in tank for 7 day's....any comment's on this treatment???...thank's gary