PDA

View Full Version : Not having much luck

Mvjnz
02-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Last year I bought a group of Fp gardneris at a pet store, two males and three females.

Two of the females died within a few months, and then the males got in a fight and I lost the prettiest one of them. I had another young female by then, so I was left with two females and a male.

I wanted to breed them of course, but they were reluctant to lay eggs and I only got two babies, both of which turned out deformed and are therefore out of the breeding picture forever. (They have been moved to the community tank where they have lots of room and can grow old in peace.)

And then my young female came down with dropsy today, leaving me with one old female and one old male. The male isn't as pretty as the other male I had and isn't really worth breeding. Not that the female wants to lay eggs anyway.

I think I'll just give up on this group and get some eggs from a breeder, maybe a different species, and hope I have more luck:(

Lady Hobbs
02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Sorry you've lost most of them. Killies are really neat fish and can be very pretty. Could be the next batch they have may be fine but there could be something wrong with this group, too.

Good luck finding some more of them you like.

Alfcea
02-01-2009, 03:39 PM
Sorry to hear that, Mv, but I'm positive things will be much better for you in the future! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Mvjnz
02-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks. Yeah I've really taken a liking to killies, so it really sucks:(

But getting another group shouldn't be a big prob, so I'll just start over.

Wild Turkey
02-02-2009, 02:13 AM
I agree, i would say scratch that plan for now. The chances are high that using the same fish will produce more deformities, and also quite likely fish from the same source will produce similar results. Usually the best thing to do is order males from one source and females from another.

Sorry about ur luck mj.:11:

Mvjnz
02-02-2009, 02:22 AM
I think the problem was that I got the from a pet store. I was told in a killi forum that the suppliers are known for very low quality fish.

So I will find a breeder in the killiforum and get some eggs off them.

I will not be breeding my current ones anymore, I've thrown away the eggs I had collected. I'll just keep the two remaining ones for decoration until they die of old age.

I'll prolly go with a different species this time, such as Aphyosemion australe or Pseudepiplatys annulatus.