PDA

View Full Version : 5 gal planted tank? How to go about it

xXxBettaxXxLoverxXx
02-01-2009, 09:07 AM
The title says it all :)

How would I go about planting a 5 gal tank for a betta fish alone?

I heard people use sand, as it is easier then gravel? The waste from the fish would stay on top, and not sink to the bottom, right? Which would eliminate the need for a gravel vacuum??

And, if I do decide to plant the tank, how would I go about it?

I was thinking about adding some Java moss/fern... Those would just stick to any ornament I attatch them too, right? So if I had, say, a rock cave? Or a peice of driftwood?

I've heard some people have had luck with Aponogeton bulbs? (Betta bulbs)
I was also thinking of adding some type of Anubias...Or some type of Crypt? Yes? No??

Others have recomended some type of floating plant. I've heard of just letting java moss float, but I don't think I fancy the look of it :14: Is there some other type of plant that is low light that would float?

I'm tired of silk plants! I don't like how they wear down in the end...My plan is to get my 5 gal planted, and once I have some growth start to get my brothers tanks planted as well. Those poor fish have been suffering and need help - So that's my plan...

So:
-how should I tackle this?
-What do I use? Sand, or gravel?
-What substrate would I use? Or is any needed?
-Fertilizers??? What types?

Links would be helpful ATON, I've looked up some, but am still a bit in the dark. The tank has passed the leak test, it's left empty now - Waiting to have it's cycle started :) So any help is appreciated!! Thank you!!!

korith
02-01-2009, 09:15 AM
I heard people use sand, as it is easier then gravel? The waste from the fish would stay on top, and not sink to the bottom, right? Which would eliminate the need for a gravel vacuum??

Sand does leave a nice cleaner look to the tank. You would still need to gravel vac up the waste at the top. Also it helps to stir up the sand to get rid of any dangerous gas pockets that may occur.

And, if I do decide to plant the tank, how would I go about it?

If you have about 2 inches of substrate, the plants can really root in. Should have no problem staying in.

I was thinking about adding some Java moss/fern... Those would just stick to any ornament I attatch them too, right? So if I had, say, a rock cave? Or a peice of driftwood?

You can tie the moss to any sort of decoration you like or driftwood. Eventually the string will rot, but by then it'll have attached itself to whatever it was tied to. Java moss I think you'll find out will attach itself to anything once it anchors in. You could probably just shove the java moss partly into the sand and it'll stay put.

I've heard some people have had luck with Aponogeton bulbs? (Betta bulbs)
I was also thinking of adding some type of Anubias...Or some type of Crypt? Yes? No??

Any sort of plant should be ok. Try to keep center of the tank free of plants, so your betta has somewhere to swim around once the plants fill out. You'll probably have to trim the plants from time to time.

Others have recomended some type of floating plant. I've heard of just letting java moss float, but I don't think I fancy the look of it :14: Is there some other type of plant that is low light that would float?

Hornwort will float and looks ok, It's fairly easy to manage, just trim it back every few weeks.

That's about all I can think of. Shouldn't have to worry about ferts too much.

troy
02-01-2009, 05:08 PM
A good floating plant would be duckweed. All your other plant choices sound fine.

Lady Hobbs
02-01-2009, 05:48 PM
A 5 gallon is very small. I would forget the rock cave because Betta's don't go in caves and he needs his space. A small piece of wood with some java fern and possibly with some floating moss would probably be sufficient and you wouldn't have to change any substrate. You may have room for one crypt, too.