PDA

View Full Version : Vals....sunburning?

MCHRKiller
02-01-2009, 02:27 AM
Now to explain my reasoning for putting it in the floating plants section. I put it here because my Jungle vals are about 20-24" tall and my tank is 16" tall a good part of them floats. Ive been having some problems with the floating part browning. Just on the tips. Ive read randomly that vals can sunburn lack of better term. Im using 2*screw in CF bulbs each a 15watts. The do get pretty warm and its a standard 10G cheapo top with only little cheap plastic shields so it does get pretty warm without a cover. To alleviate the problem(hopefully) I have cut 2 pieces of 1" PVC and have my hood sitting perched up on that. The tank is ghetto with spare parts composing it all together so Im not interested in really puting much into it. Substrate is a 50/50 mix of flourite and crushed quartz....I dose Flourish Comp, and Flourish Potassium once a week and have some root tabs scattered. I do notice my plants are all growing so I doubt its a deficiency. Any thoughts?

Lady Hobbs
02-01-2009, 02:47 AM
The tops of my vals over the water line began to do the same thing. I heard it's all the surface movement that does that. Never thought that it was getting too much light there but that's a good reason. Sounds as logical as too much current. That is also the areas that got BBA for mine.

MCHRKiller
02-01-2009, 03:08 AM
Thanks for that Lady Hobbs....I dont have to much surface movement IMO, but then Im like the crazy filter lady. Ive heard the excess heat from bulbs can also kind of burn them.