PDA

View Full Version : Frag Tank Chronicles

Rue
01-31-2009, 11:29 PM
I did it! Got my stuff together...got my butt in gear - and set up the frag tank. But only with well water. I wanted to take it for a test drive before I went through the trouble of making up some 25g of saltwater.

I'm still having some issues. The cord from the light isn't cooperating. I have to be VERY careful not to drop the lights in the tank when I move them. And I just realized I have no sponge filter. Don't know if I need one, but I think it would be nice to have to catch the bigger bits of tank debris.

The water is yellow because it's our well water - high in tannins. I should be rearing discus instead.

This is located down in our basement, where I left the counters from what once a kitchen. You have NO idea how handy it is to have a sink and countertop to work with. So what if it looks more like a laboratory than a nice domestic tank set-up!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Aquariums/FragTankTesting0209.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Aquariums/FragTankCorner0209.jpg

I'll let it run a few days...and if I have no issues I'll drain the well water and get saltwater mixed up. It will take me a couple of days to do that too...since I buy my R/O water and I only have 2 6g jugs...

Rue
02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
So far, so good...I think the water's warm enough (need another thermometer - maybe someday someone will invent suction cups that actually suction)...

Now just to get motivated to drain the tank, and get the SW in it...

...after I look after all the electrial cords...thumbs2:

jimpierce
02-01-2009, 04:48 PM
they have invented suction cups that suction. Only they call them "plungers" and use them for something else. :hmm3grin2orange:

That looks really good. I love the stove!!!

Rue
02-01-2009, 04:51 PM
...heh...actually, that's the fridge...:hmm3grin2orange:

ILuvMyGoldBarb
02-01-2009, 06:24 PM
...heh...actually, that's the fridge...

:ssuprised::ssuprised::ssuprised: Hopefully there's no food in it. :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
02-01-2009, 06:29 PM
Actually there is! A jar of Coral Frenzy. Omega One fish food (don't laugh, my fish love the stuff, I alternate that with frozen)...and a couple other foods I don't use (should toss 'em)...

One day I will paint the cupboards and get new countertops...

...one day...a long long time from now...:hmm3grin2orange:

labnjab
02-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Looking good, makes me want to set up a frag tank

Rue
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
...scary addictive! I knew I wanted one after I first saw one too...

Who knew such a marvellous thing existed! A legitimate excuse to have a coral specimen garden without worrying about landscaping, fish, or anything else you don't want to worry about!

Rue
02-09-2009, 03:31 PM
I still have to deal with power cords, but I got my act in gear...hauled R/O water ... rinsed the 'Coraline' aquarium gravel I bought (slightly larger gravel, hopefully it will provide adequate biological control once it's mature)...

...and it's all set up!

The cloudy water cleared up overnight, the temp. is up to 80F...now I'll keep an eye out on evaporation rates and see how often I need to top up...I'll check the SG...

:18:

Rue
02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
...I really REALLY want to put something in the tank...

And it's only been one day...:help:

...I'm having a hard time keeping myself from running to the LFS to buy a rock...

fins_n_fur
02-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm liking your toned-down lab look...it looks more inviting than a laboratory, just a little less clinical :hmm3grin2orange:

Go buy a rock, please. The suspense is killing me. :hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
02-10-2009, 10:59 PM
Since I refrained from going today, it may have to wait until Thursday...

...stay tuned for the next exciting installment...:hmm3grin2orange:

Rue
02-12-2009, 04:48 PM
I couldn't wait! My scheduale changed so I picked up a bit of rock yesterday!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Aquariums/FragTankwithRock0209.jpg

Closeup: This is from Indonesia...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Aquariums/FragTankRockCloseup0209.jpg

I was SO excited to find a couple of flat pieces! They should be very handy when I reorganize the RSM...:19: I also bought some more powerbars, this weekend I should have the cords organized properly...

coachfraley
02-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Those are some great flat pieces... Are you setting up a egg-crate shelf in the tank, or are you going with a live rock base for the frags?

I know some people are really into the "fragging stations" right now, where you drill holes in rock (like those nice flat pieces you have) and then drop the frag plugs into the holes.

Rue
02-12-2009, 05:05 PM
The frags will just be placed on the substrate.

If there's an issue with doing it that way, I'll reconsider...

But having drilled rocks would be interesting...thumbs2:

coachfraley
02-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I think that people use the egg-crate as a way to get the frags closer to the light, more that anything else. I don't see any real problem with dropping the frags right on the sand.

Rue
02-12-2009, 05:21 PM
The tank is shallow, just for that reason, so I think I'll be okay.

But I guess we'll find out soon enough! :cat:

Rue
02-18-2009, 05:40 PM
My rock is covered with diatoms, and has patches of green algae starting up.

I put in a frag mount that had some tube worms growing on it (the frag had died) and some 'dying' candycane coral heads (more colateral damage from the Dark Ages) to see how they do...if they make it - bonus. If not...that's okay too...

Rue
02-22-2009, 04:22 AM
I've been staring at these guys at the LFS, so I finally bought them for the RSM...I replaced a rock with dying hairy mushrooms (another casualty) with it...

The mushrooms are in the frag tank...if any survive...bonus!

These are HUGE. I don't think they're uncommon, but I have no idea what they are, can't find a photo on-line...

If anyone knows...please tell me! It's gonna drive me bonkers.

Sorry the photo is blurry...jus the point and shoot camera...

...and I got 5 Nassarius snails...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q152/Rue_album/Aquariums/GiantPalys0209A.jpg

kaybee
02-22-2009, 08:09 AM
They are a type of palythoa.

Rue
02-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Yes, but I was hoping for a species name, or at least a common name, if anyone knows. They're 100X bigger than my 'regular' zoanthids...

Rue
02-22-2009, 02:02 PM
...might be Protopalythoa psammophila? If not, it seems it's likely to be one of the Protopalys...

jimpierce
02-22-2009, 04:10 PM
I like the cup look they have.

kaybee
02-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Common names vary from region to region but they're usually called 'button polyps'.

May be difficult to narrow it down to species. In addition to the known species they are many that aren't known but are in the hobby (typically described as palythoa sp. or protopalythoa sp.).

Regarding the cup look, under more intense lighting they can lose cupping and develop longer tentacles.

Rue
02-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Name aside for the moment...I just fed them Cyclopeeze...

The cupped portion just curled inwards and then the top closed off...not a tentacle to be seen...

Boy! They were hungry! LOL...

There are also 2, or even 3 different types on that rock...and a lone renegade mushroom! However, I think it's the same type of mushroom I already have...so I didn't get too excited...