PDA

View Full Version : Disease or no?

darqmarc
02-07-2006, 02:10 AM
I brought home a clown Knife Fish a couple of weeks ago. He and a crayfish are sharing my 20 gallon tank while I hunt for a stand for my 55. Yesterday I noticed some interesting things about him. He spent a lot of time hiding until a few days ago when he finally got used to the tank. He is the single most active eater I have ever seen. It's really fun to watch him jumping out of the tank to eat a flake.

All of my water levels are normal, and I do a 25% water change every Saturday morning. All hail the mighty python, for which I am eternally grateful as it makes my life significantly easier.

Anyhow. What I've noticed is that this fish has a few very straight slits in his fins - one on the left fin, one toward the middle of the fin along his belly, and one at the end of his tail. These all seem normal since they're so straight, and they don't get in the way of his swimming or activity at all. I get the feeling he probably had this going on before I got him home. But that's not what bugs me. What bugs me is some lighter spots on his side. They're not round, and they're not really straight. They look like scratches. Now, he and the crayfish face off from time to time and he just sorta swims away. I'm thinking he's probably scratched himself on the fake coral decorations... but I can't get a good photo of it to show you.

I'm wondering if this might be the ich that I keep hearing about. Maybe I can get some descriptions of things I should look for the next time he gives me a nice long broad side look?

William
02-07-2006, 10:02 PM
Hi
What you describe might be ich even if im not sure. It is not how i would describe the dots caused by ich/ick but are to similar for me to rule it out.

take a look at the ic h/ ick pictures on the pages below and compare them to your fish.

http://eric.petfish.net/ich.htm
http://www.fishdeals.com/fish_diseases/stressdisease.shtml

darqmarc
02-08-2006, 01:41 AM
Huge thanks for those! Based on those photos he's not sick at all. Well that and the "scratches" look much better today. But yeah, the scratches are bigger than those dots. They look, well, they look like the scars on my hands thanks to the cats.