PDA

View Full Version : gender compatibility

Mith
01-31-2009, 10:58 AM
OK... I'm not ready for fish, but I need to now start doing my homework as to what I'll be getting.

Cichlids... have no clue which ones. I know of African Cichlids... and I know there are three lakes in Africa. First question, are all the cichlids on all three lakes compatible.

Now my real question. Someone posted the other day about babies. My question is, what's the best way to get fish. I know males are always prettier and I really don't want to be bombarded with babies. Is it feasible to get all males in a tank or do you need a female in their to keep the peace?

I like the yellow cichlid... so I probably want other cichlids that are compatible with that one. I also like the blue striped one. Too many questions.... so much time... (2011)...

Thanks in advance. thumbs2: :22:

gm72
01-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Mith, I don't know very much about Cichlids but just wanted to give you kudos for doing so much homework before you actually stock that nice looking tank of yours. I wish more people researched properly first. Keep up the great work!

Lady Hobbs
01-31-2009, 01:09 PM
NOT ME! I had a good bet riding on that cycle as to when it would be finished. He messed me up and I lost my bet! LOLOLOL

You looking at Tanganyika or Malawi. We have some Cichlid experts here and they will help ya out. I just popped in to harass you.

You may want to sit and look thru this link one day. It's expensive and will take a while but you can learn much here, I think.

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cover.htm

gm72
01-31-2009, 02:23 PM
It's expensive and will take a while but you can learn much here, I think.

http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cover.htm

I think Lady Hobbs meant to say it is extensive, not expensive! :ssmile:

Sharon
01-31-2009, 02:44 PM
When you do the research, choose something that will not require a LOT of rockwork......unless you're planning on increasing the rocks in your tank. My Mbuna absolutely require lots of rocks to escape each other. You're tank is bigger, which is good, but they will still need the rocks. They are nasty little things, and will be aggressive without the proper setup.

Oh...The Mbunas are hard to sex unless you vent them.

kaybee
01-31-2009, 03:37 PM
..are all the cichlids on all three lakes compatible...

No. Incompatibilites may exist in the form of varying aggression levels, activity level, dietary requirements and predatory potential. with that said, if common ground can be found, they can co-habitate (I've got a Lake Tanganyika tropheus and a Lake Victoria pundamilia in with my Lake Malawi mbuna's). I've got several Lake Malawi haps with my Lake Tanganyika frontosas. With that said, for the best chance for success, stick to one lake and one group from that lake.

...I know males are always prettier...

Not actually true in all circumstances. Males are probably prettier with many (but not all) of the dimorphic types and species. For example, with peacocks, certain zebra-complex mbuna's, and haps, etc the males are colorful while the females may be somewhat bland.

However, with other dimorphic species the females are just different colors and just as pretty (male kenyi's are solid yellowish while the females are blue with black vertical stripes.)

Many african cichlid species, however, are monomorphic (color and pattern-wise the genders are identical).

...I really don't want to be bombarded with babies.

Predation is high among most african cichlids. You'll be fortunate if 10% of them survive without getting eaten. The survival rate can be reduced further by reducing the amount of hiding spots that fry and juveniles can utilize. The rate can be reduced even further if stocked with predatory african cichlids (fulfilling a population control role).

Is it feasible to get all males in a tank or do you need a female in their to keep the peace?

Depends on the which species. An all male aulonocara tank would work, an all male melanochomis chipokae set up would not.

The presence of females will actually promote aggression as they prompt competition for breeding rights. However, even in a tank devoid of females, these are still aggressive, hierarchal fish. Females, however, will motivate males to display their best colors. In my opinion it's a balancing act. Typically several females per male per species works well.

I like the yellow cichlid... so I probably want other cichlids that are compatible with that one. I also like the blue striped one.

There are many different types of african cichlid species and thus several will be yellow or blue striped. You'll have to do some research to work it down to the particular type and species you're interested. Once that is known then compatibility can be addressed.

Mith
02-01-2009, 12:57 AM
Good thing I gots lots of time to figure out what to get.

Thanks for your in-depth reply. I appreciate it. :22: