PDA

View Full Version : New Betta tank

Jakaris
01-31-2009, 04:14 AM
This is the smallest tank I've ever had, but so far its working out very well. 2.5 gallon tank, the smallest filter Elite makes, and a lamp as a temporary light source. I plan on acquiring a fluorescent bulb/light unit in a few days, and the filter is nearly a sponge filter in its slowness, I've seen the Betta swim in front of it and stop, and be nearly motionless. Right now I'm doing what amounts to 1/4 tank change a day and 50% weekly, etc etc. Now to the interesting stuff.

The Betta is a Delta Tail, a type I've never had the chance to keep before, and I'm glad I chose him. Awesome fish. I once had a Betta live 7 years, so I'm going to try and do 8 with this guy. Probably not going to happen, but I'm going to try.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/7586/bettapm5.th.jpg (http://img301.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bettapm5.jpg)

I also have 4 ghost shrimp and 2 snails, 1 gold, 1 blue. Best part is one of the shrimp has eggs, which you can see in the tank pic, so I'll either have to remove excess shrimp or my Betta will eat all of them. Either way, a great addition to the tank.

And now the tank itself:

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/442/img1898dh5.th.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img1898dh5.jpg)

Wild Turkey
01-31-2009, 05:18 AM
Love the tank, great tank for a betta!

You wont need to remove the shrimp, even if the betta magically decided he didnt want to eat any, you could keep hundreds in there and not have filtration problems. They really have almost no bioload in small numbers.

Hows your ph? I only ask because of your mystery snails.

Northernguy
01-31-2009, 05:21 AM
That is a nice little tank!thumbs2:

Hailey
01-31-2009, 06:43 AM
looks great!
I have the same filter in a 2.5 gallon tank also, but I noticed the end of your tube is in the water. I didnt think it was supposed to do that, I thought it had to suck in air. The flow on mine is pretty strong. Just checking, maybe it is supposed to...

Jakaris
01-31-2009, 06:11 PM
As far as I can tell theres still current in there, the perfect ammount. I think that it just keeps excess air from floating to the surface, because i can see air shoot up it then go back down. Either way it works perfectly, better than I thought it would. I took the original sponge out, because it didn't do much, and replaced it with a nice one.

And PH is fine, I'm monitoring it every 2 days, if I see spikes... I guess I'll take the gold one out first, then blue if it doesnt stay steady.

invadertoast
01-31-2009, 06:15 PM
He's gorgeous! That tanks looks bigger than my 2.5, lol, I guess it's all in how you decorate it. I have the same filter, and keep the tube under the water... it's been like for over a year, I forget why I changed it from being out of the water though, I think it made too much noise or too many bubbles, or both!

sandy_n
01-31-2009, 06:24 PM
Nice tank. Very pretty betta!

wolf_eyes
01-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow that is one beauuuutiful fish. I love his coloring. Very nice tank as well.

Wild Turkey
01-31-2009, 06:51 PM
And PH is fine, I'm monitoring it every 2 days, if I see spikes... I guess I'll take the gold one out first, then blue if it doesnt stay steady.

I meant what is the Ph reading? Snails require a certain hardness, ph, and diet or they will suffer from shell damage, which your blue guy seems to have a little of.

troy
01-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Good setup!thumbs2:

lovleeko
01-31-2009, 07:57 PM
I meant what is the Ph reading? Snails require a certain hardness, ph, and diet or they will suffer from shell damage, which your blue guy seems to have a little of.

WT, can't it be even more complicated than that. Like, I have higher PH but a friend who breeds bettas has way more testers than I do and he tested the actual hardness and it was not very alkaline. I'm a bit confused on that one but besides the ph the water appeared to be soft ???? I guess it concerned the calcium in the water. IDK LOL

Jellygirl
02-01-2009, 01:47 AM
He sure is a nice fish with beautiful finnage and colouring. Luck boy in the new tank.
Jellygirl.