PDA

View Full Version : got my first frontosa! but...

mutt_07
01-30-2009, 07:57 AM
what else can go with it? only tanganyika cichlids or can i have other african cichlids? just curious all input will help thanks!
-mutt-

Lady Hobbs
01-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Tank size is everything. How large is yours?

Northernguy
01-30-2009, 02:23 PM
Tank size is everything. How large is yours?

You do need a lot of room because your fronts get rather large.
Black Calvus or Eartheaters can go in with your fronts.
I am sure that someone else can tell you more.
LOL Do not ask about magnets!lol

Crispy
01-30-2009, 05:14 PM
any 'non-agressive' fish can live with fronts. Tank size is very important to determine how many fish you can have. As is the size of your fronts.

mutt_07
01-30-2009, 06:26 PM
i have a 55gallon that is community tank only, and i have a 120 that i was hoping to make into an african cichlid tank and i started with a fronts. My fronts is only about 2-2 1/2 inches long. I want to get all my fish small and grow them big.It will take time, but i have plenty of that on my hands.

Crispy
01-30-2009, 06:28 PM
i have a 55gallon that is community tank only, and i have a 120 that i was hoping to make into an african cichlid tank and i started with a fronts. My fronts is only about 2-2 1/2 inches long. I want to get all my fish small and grow them big.It will take time, but i have plenty of that on my hands.

Try to get a colony of fronts (5-7 min). They will definitely do better in a group.
120 gallons is a good enough size. Sounds like you're on the right track here.

kaybee
01-30-2009, 11:21 PM
...can i have other african cichlids?

No mbuna's.

Crispy
01-31-2009, 03:03 AM
If you want other africans, they hafta be non-aggressive. There aren't many africans that fall into that category.

btate617
01-31-2009, 03:15 AM
A lot of posting about calvus recently, they could work.

Brian

kaybee
01-31-2009, 04:15 AM
..also the type of fish would have to be of size to not end up as a meal when kept with full grown frontosa specimens (which can consume fish as large as 4" in length).

EVAN YUNCK
03-03-2009, 04:12 PM
what else can go with it? only tanganyika cichlids or can i have other african cichlids? just curious all input will help thanks!
-mutt-
I WOULD PUT ONLY OTHER TANGANYIKAN CICHLIDS WITH THEM FOR A TRU ENDEMIC TANK, THATS MY PREFRANCE THOUGH. IVE KEEPT MINE WITH BRICHARDI, ANY TROPHEUS SP.(VERY CLOSLY RELATED),TRETOCEPHALUS,LEILUPE,CALVUSES. FRONTOSAS ARE STEALTHFULLY AGREESIVE N TANK MATES SHULD BE AS WELL IVE HAD MINE FOR YEARS N ITS A BEUTY MASSIVE BULGE ON HEAD, I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF SOUTH AM. CICHLIDS WITH AFRICANS

btate617
03-03-2009, 04:32 PM
I WOULD PUT ONLY OTHER TANGANYIKAN CICHLIDS WITH THEM FOR A TRU ENDEMIC TANK, THATS MY PREFRANCE THOUGH. IVE KEEPT MINE WITH BRICHARDI, ANY TROPHEUS SP.(VERY CLOSLY RELATED),TRETOCEPHALUS,LEILUPE,CALVUSES. FRONTOSAS ARE STEALTHFULLY AGREESIVE N TANK MATES SHULD BE AS WELL IVE HAD MINE FOR YEARS N ITS A BEUTY MASSIVE BULGE ON HEAD, I DONT LIKE THE IDEA OF SOUTH AM. CICHLIDS WITH AFRICANS

I agree with not putting Fronts with S/A, although some members have had great success with it. However your comment about fronts being aggressive and their tankmates also should be...... yes fronts get big and will eat other fish, but they are far from aggressive. You put another fish in there that is aggressive and the fronts will be bullied. they are big wimps, males among a group of fronts will pick at eachother but given enough room you should be trouble free.
But why suggest he keep them with Tropheus?? And are you saying Tropheus are very closely related? Lets just say they are, how is he going to ensure a veggie diet with fronts in the tank?
If you ask me the last fish on your list to mix with your fronts would be tropheus, it would be impossible to meet the foods these two need.
Like Crispy said if you want fronts start with 6-8 juvies.

Brian

Crispy
03-03-2009, 05:58 PM
definitely start with a colony of frontosa. Then after you get a bigger tank, you may decide on a few tankmates.

Brookfish
03-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Welcome to the Front club, I keep black calvus with mine with
no aggression issues, like the guys say Fronts do best in a group
with non aggressive tank mates, best of luck with them!