PDA

View Full Version : betta bully 2

Slow Cheetah
01-30-2009, 05:48 AM
i started this new thread just incase the other one was not noticed quicky enough.

yes my male betta he is trying to nip my 4 cories in 10 gallon
there was no damage to any cories yesterday
but today a little bit is missing from one of the cories fins
if any more damage is found im afraid he will have to be moved ot a solo tank

i have a about 3 galll tank not in use rite now
i have some gravel that i stored that will just need some form of cleaning. will boiling water suffice?
it has a small filter thatn came with it and thats it.

Q1. how can i move my betta into a new tank relatively quickly if his nipping continues when the 3 gallon isnt in use
Q2. he will obviously need a heater. what size is appropriate for that sized tank

cheers

Mvjnz
01-30-2009, 06:11 AM
I'd say 3 gal is a bit on the small side, but is ok for a temp solution if you need to move him.

The quickest way would be to clean the gravel and keep it somewhere where you can get to to it easily, then just dump it in the tank, fill with dechlorinated water, move some plants from the bigger tank and preferably a little cave or something similar he can hide in.

Rub the filter sponge on the sponge in your established tank, get the filter going in the 3 gal an dmove the fish. Shouldn't be any probs.

I think the smallest heater you can get is 25W, any pet store should have them.

But as I said, the tank is a bit small, and if you need to keep him in a seperate tank permanently i'd get at least 30 litres, but the bigger the better.

wolf_eyes
01-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Same thing happened to me. My male betta was aggressive with my cories. I saw a nipped fin on one of the little guys and took him out. If he's already bitten one of them I would get him out asap, because its just not working out. Cories are so peaceful that they won't fight back and in the end you'll have stressed and injured cories that may get sick and die.

What i would recommend is to take some of the filter media from the 10, cut a tiny bit of it off and stick it in the 3g filter. That way the tank will have some bacteria to jump start the cycle. Also if you have plants in the 10 I would take 1 or 2 of them and put them in there as well. The 3 gallon can work as a permanent home, thought most people suggest a 5g.

Northernguy
01-30-2009, 10:38 PM
I agree with what was said here. A 5 would be better.
Tetras would have been better with your beta.They are a bit more aggeressive than corys and a lot faster.

Sharon
01-30-2009, 10:49 PM
I would use a 3gal tank for one solitary Betta as a permanent home...:ssmile:

wolf_eyes
01-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I would use a 3gal tank for one solitary Betta as a permanent home...:ssmile:
Mine's in a 3 as well and he likes it. 2.5 seems to be the smallest people recommend while other state only a 5 will do, so I was just throwing that out there:)

tab
02-01-2009, 09:15 AM
i am in the process of setting up a 5 gallon tank for my betta. he was originally in my 94 litre tank but he attacked and killed one of the neons (i didn't see it happen) but then on friday he attacked one of my julii cories. the poor thing was so injured it died.:scry:

fortunately friends of mine took him immediately and he is in a high security cell until today, when i can set him up in solitary here.

my friends have 2 large community tanks with 1 male betta in each and have never had any problems. i guess it's luck of the draw with them. personally i will only keep them on their own from now on.

Slow Cheetah
02-01-2009, 10:38 AM
i am in the process of setting up a 5 gallon tank for my betta. he was originally in my 94 litre tank but he attacked and killed one of the neons (i didn't see it happen) but then on friday he attacked one of my julii cories. the poor thing was so injured it died.:scry:

fortunately friends of mine took him immediately and he is in a high security cell until today, when i can set him up in solitary here.

my friends have 2 large community tanks with 1 male betta in each and have never had any problems. i guess it's luck of the draw with them. personally i will only keep them on their own from now on.

aww sorry to hear about your experience tab,

yeah, my first betta i had was a real cutie and had no killer instinct whatsoever, where as now my fella has a bit of aggression. i totally agree with 'luck of the draw' point you made but i would advise not to give up on them in community tanks forever! they are a to beautiful addition for that =D