PDA

View Full Version : Anenome Question

labnjab
01-30-2009, 12:04 AM
We have a friend who is breaking down a 90 gallon and setting up a 210. He has a small bubble tip anemone that he wants to temporarily re-home until the 210 matures and he wants us to take it for 5-6 months because he knows we would take good care of it. I told him I'd think about it because I wasn't quite sure if we could support it and I decide to ask the experts on here

Our tanks a 29 gallon with a 20 gallon sump/ refugium. We have a 4x39 watt HO t-5 light fixture. Our tank is soon to be 5 months old and all parameters have been stable for a several months. The anenome is small and I still have plenty of room. In your opinion, should we hold it for him for the 5-6 months, or have him try an find someone else. We are the closest to him on the local reef club. Most are and hour to an hour and a half away. Thank you for your opinion

Fishguy2727
01-30-2009, 12:08 AM
It should be fine. BTAs are pretty tough. Mine first one was fine until my heater cooked it. My current one got itself stuck on a filter intake, tore a piece off, and it is still doing well (seems to be recovering well from its accident).

Rue
01-30-2009, 12:09 AM
I think it would be fine.

But both of you need to be clear on what's what should the anemone go for a walk and end up in a bad place...

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-30-2009, 12:18 AM
I'd say it should be fine, but like Rue said, anemones are prone to wander around the tank until they find a spot they like.

Halelorf
01-30-2009, 01:58 AM
You should be fine to support that anemone. Your lighting is fine and the tank size is fine since it is small. Only thing I can suggest is to read through this website http://www.karensroseanemones.com/ and really check out protecting your pumps from it so you don't get puree anemone.

labnjab
01-30-2009, 02:26 AM
Thank you for the tips and the website. I'll start reading into that to get a good background on their care. I have koralia power heads and my skimmers in my sump so there's less danger of them being sucked up. I don't have any coral glued down, so once he finds a spot he likes and stays in for a few weeks, I'll start gluing the coral down. I'll be sure to post pictures if and when we get it. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will split in the short time we will have it. By the time he's ready to take it back, we hope to be starting a 75 gallon:hmm3grin2orange:

rageybug
02-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Are you sure the risk is worth it? What happens if the BT starts to take out things in your tank? What if the BT bites the dust? Is your friend going to shrug it off or demand a new one?

Also, what if the BT chooses a spot in the tank that is hard to access. You may have to start pulling LR to get him out.

Rue
02-05-2009, 09:30 PM
Now you've confused me.

Earlier you suggested that 'we're' too cautious in our approach to SW. Now you're being overly cautious - or is this a retaliatory-type post?

labnjab are certainly doing their homework - if they wish to babysit an anemone they'll be able to...

labnjab
02-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Are you sure the risk is worth it? What happens if the BT starts to take out things in your tank? What if the BT bites the dust? Is your friend going to shrug it off or demand a new one?

Also, what if the BT chooses a spot in the tank that is hard to access. You may have to start pulling LR to get him out.

I haven't heard from him a a few weeks and don't have it yet, but I know him pretty well and he is a very good, easy going guy. He's given me most of my starting coral. I don't think he'll have a problem if it died, but I don't think it will die, I stay really on top of water parameters, and if it did they sell them locally for $20-30.
As far as it getting into a tight spot, I don't have anyplace in the back or sides of my tank that it would fit through, with 50lbs of LR in a 29 its really tight in the back, and if it did, I only have 4 or 5 large pieces of rock so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to move anything. And with t-5 lighting, I think it will stick around near the top. I'm willing to take a chance. If i'm sucessful or not, its gonna be a good learning experience for when I get a bigger tank and get my own anenome, so its plenty worth it

labnjab
02-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I'll be picking the BTA up this weekend. Its a pink BTA and around 2 inches long

rageybug
02-07-2009, 05:48 AM
Now you've confused me.

Earlier you suggested that 'we're' too cautious in our approach to SW. Now you're being overly cautious - or is this a retaliatory-type post?

labnjab are certainly doing their homework - if they wish to babysit an anemone they'll be able to...

I've never stated that people are being too cautious in their approach to SW. I stated that people should not be afraid tro try.

This thread asked for opinions and I have offered mine. If I am creating a retalitory type post, it will be quite clear to you.