PDA

View Full Version : old live rock in a freshwater aquarium

jeff8428
02-06-2007, 01:11 AM
I recently purchased a 155 gallon saltwater tank. I have converted it to freshwater, but would love to use the old live rock. I know it is worth more as is, but have no use for it and don't want the hassle of selling it. Anyone ever cleaned live rock and used it in freshwater. Was going to put it in superhot water and let the organisms die than try to clean, Any ideas, don't want to harm my freshwater fish but would love to use it. Appreciate any input.

f1oored
02-06-2007, 01:47 AM
It depends on the fish you plan to keep. My guess is that it will push your pH and hardness up. If you are keeping african cichlids you might be ok but anything that likes acidic water will probably not like the dead live rock.

Drumachine09
02-06-2007, 02:31 AM
you could break of a small chunk (if that is possible, i have no idea as to how hard live rock is) and test it with a couple of expendable fish, like feeders.

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2007, 03:23 AM
Thats a good idea using it for freshwater. When i converted i gave my crushed coral/salt/live rock to a college guy who needed a hand with his tank

jeff8428
02-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Well, I appreciate everyones input. I took the rock outside and left it until it reached about 40 degrees then brought it back in and added water of about 140 degrees. I then mixed up a 20 to 1 mixture of bleach and soaked it overnight. The rock appear "dead" all of the color has came out and the rocks are a beautiful white and gray color. I have rinsed them thoroughly now i am putting them in the dishwasher (my wife loves this idea Ha Ha) and am going to wash all of them this way. I am then going to take a spray bottle of chlorine remover and individually spray each one. Then I am going to place them in large tubs and place a powerhead in there and add dechlorinizer in there and every few hours add more. I will test for chlorine when none is present I plan and letting it set for a while and recheck. I think I will then add it to the tank and see what happens (testing everything) This has somehow became a quest for me.I plan on posting pictures for everyone to see (if it works) I have a 55 gallon and have very pourous rock in it, I do occasionally get some algae onit but I think it makes it look beautiful. Don't care to pull a few pieces out every once in a while and clean. I think if this works it will be an awesome tank and if not, well at least everyone knows it can't be done. Again, I really appreciate everyones input and will keep you up to date

f1oored
02-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Let us know what happens. Keep an eye on your pH after you put it in the tank. I would also love to see some pictures when you are done.

Take luck brother

jeffs99dime
02-06-2007, 02:58 PM
also keep an eye on your hardness and calcium levels. definitely post some pics!