PDA

View Full Version : guppy fry and dead mothers

Nautilus291
02-05-2007, 11:17 PM
I bought 3 guppies for my 10g tank on sunday, and when I brought them home I noticed that both of the girls were expecting. Yesterday They actually both started having there fry at the same time, I collected the fry I could get to before they ate them. I ended up with 15 babies. But today when I got home one of the mothers jumped out of the tank even though its pretty well covered and the other one was dead in the tank.

Does anyone know what would cause this, do guppies sometimes die after having fry, or did they both feel bad for eating there fry and decided to kill themselves. The male is still alive and so is another female I aquired from kate. I also have a couple of albino corys in the tank.

Drumachine09
02-05-2007, 11:40 PM
I have not have had a mother survive a birth in my tank either. I belive its stress, but im not sure.

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2007, 12:01 AM
i had a mother survive a few times

Abbeys_Mom
02-06-2007, 12:48 AM
I've never lost a guppy to having fry. I have also never known them to jump from the tank either.

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2007, 12:51 AM
the jumping is weird. Slow fish like guppies only may jump if frightened

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2007, 12:53 AM
CSI time! lol

Drumachine09
02-06-2007, 12:59 AM
CSI time! lol

Oh, thanks for the reminder. I would have forgot about it!

cocoa_pleco
02-06-2007, 01:00 AM
your personal alarmclock, at your service! lol:1:

fishlips28
02-06-2007, 01:04 AM
sorry about your guppies Adam. I hope the little ones are doing okay! Good luck with them! I can't wait to watch them grow!

Sasquatch
02-06-2007, 03:06 AM
If you just got them from the fish store, it's probable that they weren't in a good enough condition to survive birthing. If the females aren't well fed during pregnancy, they will often take from their own reserves to ensure healthy fry. Sometimes they even break down their own muscles to do this. If the mothers weren't fed enough at the LFS, this could be the cause of the one you found dead in the tank.

To prevent this, feed them high protein food. We feed our platies Hikari Blood Worms, they're like 65% protein. It makes for big healthy babies and momies that survive.

As for the jumper, I can't help. Sorry.

Nautilus291
02-06-2007, 11:26 PM
I got home today and my male guppy was dead and one of my albino corys! IDk whats going on I checked my tank and everything is fine. The cory that died was missing an eye so idk if maybe something was wrong with him. I bought all the guppies at one place so I Think they must all have been in bad condition as for the cory idk.

Abbeys_Mom
02-07-2007, 01:14 AM
Sounds to me as though there is more going on. I know guppies do better in well established tanks. I had problems with guppies when my tanks were newly cycled. Have you checked your PH? Maybe your water is too hard. Think careful about what the problem may be. I lost a whole lot of fish once when I was a kid, because I put shells in the water and they screwed up the chemistry. Is there a chance that something in your aquarium is not safe?

Sasquatch
02-07-2007, 01:15 AM
What other fish do you have in there? Anything that would be aggressive towards small fish or new fish?

Anyway, best of luck. Next time, I'd strongly suggest a quarantine to make sure that your fish are fine before putting them in the main tank.

Drumachine09
02-07-2007, 01:21 AM
Rats. I lost my most prized guppy today. He was a BRIGHT yellow all over kinda one. His fins are all nipped to hell, so i think the rainbow shark did it to him. I had to give the guppy the old one flush salute. If stuff like thes continues to happen, i might have to take the rainbow shark behind the shed.

jeffs99dime
02-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Rats. I lost my most prized guppy today. He was a BRIGHT yellow all over kinda one. His fins are all nipped to hell, so i think the rainbow shark did it to him. I had to give the guppy the old one flush salute. If stuff like thes continues to happen, i might have to take the rainbow shark behind the shed.

was he dead before you flushed him??

Drumachine09
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
Yea. I dont flush live fish. That could be bad.

fishlips28
02-07-2007, 01:41 AM
The tank that Adam's guppies are in is his 10g. He has had that tank the longest, so it is not newly established. He has cory's and guppies in there, that is all. He does have snails though...is that the problem??? I think they came in with his live plant.

cocoa_pleco
02-07-2007, 02:44 AM
I used to flush dead fish, but its still bad. It introduces a weird species into the food chain even though its dead.

I lost a SUPER SHOW guppy a year ago, orange with a black cobweb rings on the tail

zenryoku
03-12-2007, 03:46 AM
How long after my female starts getting fat will she have the babies. How will I know she is close, I don't want to put her in the breeder until she is really close to giving birth.

cocoa_pleco
03-12-2007, 03:49 AM
this is a two month old thread! lol.

Shanni
03-19-2007, 05:00 PM
i have had female guppies die giving birth and die after, but only the plane grey females, other ones I don't have a problem with.

Those are the biggest females and can give birth to alot, it almost paralizes them and they get sick and die or they will have babies a couple times, but are already sick the 2nd time around and will die after that, you can tell cause they can't even swim straight anymore they are at an angle and get very skinny, but can still produce.