PDA

View Full Version : What species is a "pest" snail?

invadertoast
01-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Home sick (day 3) and going bored out of my mind... what exactly is a pest snail? I have a bunch in my 2.5g plakat tank. I swear my tank isn't that dirty, it looks terrible in the pictures!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_3208.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/invadertoast/IMG_3206.jpg

Sharkman
01-29-2009, 05:35 PM
not sure what those are, but usually bladder snails are pest or pond snails.

Fishalicious
01-29-2009, 06:02 PM
That's a Malaysian Trumpet Snail...not seen as a pest as it keeps your substrate nice and airy ad eats algae... they will not touch plants - only those that are dying or dead plant material. They can explode in population size though...

Pond Snails are a pest and will eat holes in every plant you have ...

Wild Turkey
01-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Yups gotta agree with jess on this one. Though, some still regard mts as a pest :D But as far as pond snails go there are several species but they all look similar. Little round snails of hating.

invadertoast
01-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Okay - thanks guys!! Seeing as I have sand in all four of my tanks, I'm kind of glad to have them. None of my other tanks have snails except my 23, it has an MTS that's about 4 times the size of these little guys. Any idea how long it takes them to grow? I have a ton in this 2.5 and have for months, but they stay tiny.

toddnbecka
01-30-2009, 03:35 AM
The designation of "pest" applies to any unwanted invert, regardless of species, the same way "weed" is defined as any plant growing anywhere it isn't wanted. There are different species of MTS, but they aren't a particularly fast-growing snail in general.
Going stir crazy after being home sick for 3 days? I was in the hospital that long (right through Christmas w/a broken hip), and still have another 10 days before my next visit to the doctor. If the xrays look alright he may allow me to start putting some weight on my left leg again. Then it will be a month of physical therapy twice weekly; I just hope he'll allow me to drive again after the next checkup. Sooner or later I suppose he'll want to take out the 4 screws now holding the femur together; something else to look forward to...

invadertoast
01-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Going stir crazy after being home sick for 3 days? I was in the hospital that long (right through Christmas w/a broken hip), and still have another 10 days before my next visit to the doctor. If the xrays look alright he may allow me to start putting some weight on my left leg again. Then it will be a month of physical therapy twice weekly; I just hope he'll allow me to drive again after the next checkup. Sooner or later I suppose he'll want to take out the 4 screws now holding the femur together; something else to look forward to...

Yikes! I don't feel so bad now! Went to the doctor yesterday and have strep/ear infection. My sister broke her leg in three places last year and had to have two plates and some crazy amount of screws to hold it together while it healed, I probably would have gone insane. Good luck at the doctor/physical therapy, I wish you a speedy recovery!