PDA

View Full Version : a current / filtration question...

nooodles
01-28-2009, 04:25 AM
Hmm... I have a 29 gallon that had two filters running... one of them is pretty old.. and has stopped running...

So i'm left with the one penguin biowheel 100 filter that says its good for aquariums up to 20 gallons... but I know that goldfish don't like lots of current anyways..

I have an airstone so the water is oxygenated enough, but I'm wondering if there is enough filtration. I already gravel vac once a week w/ water changes.. If i just added a whole bunch of biological media into this filter would that be enough to keep the water quality?

(... i don't seem to see any peaks in ates or ites yet.... so I think my little buddies are doing OK for now...)

nooodles
01-28-2009, 05:20 AM
crickets..

nooodles
01-28-2009, 04:33 PM
one more try... anyone?

labnjab
01-28-2009, 05:48 PM
I would add a 2nd filter. Its always better to overfilter. I have a decent amount of current (550 GPH between 2 filters) in my 55 gallon goldfish tank and it doesn't bother them a bit, they actually love to play in it

Wild Turkey
01-28-2009, 06:00 PM
You are going to want to add another filter. Twice whats rated for your tank is recommended usually so you have about 33% of the filtration you need.
Its especially important for goldfish as they are messy and big waste producers.

karbomb
01-28-2009, 07:04 PM
You are going to want to add another filter. Twice whats rated for your tank is recommended usually so you have about 33% of the filtration you need.
Its especially important for goldfish as they are messy and big waste producers.
this is great advise. i would agree especially since you have goldfish.