PDA

View Full Version : egg eating cichlids

new at fish
01-28-2009, 01:40 AM
I have a pair of jewel cichlids who lay and fertilize eggs every 2-3 weeks. After 24 - 36 hours, the female eats them. This has happened about 10 times now. I separated the parents from the eggs once, but the eggs got mouldy. Any advice? The other fish in the tank are 3 tiger barbs and a Chinese algae eater.

toddnbecka
01-28-2009, 03:01 AM
Chances are the eggs are infertile; it's possible you have 2 females rather than a pair. Jewel cichlids are generally excellent parents, but if the eggs are infertile or they feel they can't defend them.

Crispy
01-28-2009, 06:19 PM
stress will make them eat up all the eggs. are they laying them in a safe and secure spot? I found that when eggs are laid in clay pots that are easily defended, the parents would not eat them. When the eggs were kind of in the open and the parents were exhausted from defending them, they would disappear.

Northernguy
01-28-2009, 07:48 PM
How big is your tank and how is it set up?
What other fish are in the tank?

btate617
01-28-2009, 07:59 PM
How big is your tank and how is it set up?
What other fish are in the tank?

The other fish in the tank are 3 tiger barbs and a Chinese algae eater.

Northernguy
01-29-2009, 01:05 AM
The tiger barbs could use a bigger school,they will keep to themselves more.
How big is the CAE? They get aggresive as they age!
These guys could be the reason the eggs were eaten.
Still need to kow what size tank?

new at fish
02-12-2009, 12:41 AM
thanks for your reply. The same one always lays the eggs, and the larger cichlid goes in after her, and it appears that he is fertilizing the eggs, but I'm not sure. She lays the eggs in a clay pot, and they both actively defend the eggs. The tank is 25 gallons.

toddnbecka
02-12-2009, 05:15 AM
That's a bit small for anything more than the pair of jewels. Could be they're stressing out over the tiger barbs being too close to the nest.