PDA

View Full Version : What to add!?

liamoi
02-04-2007, 09:52 PM
Hello, i have a lonely texas cichlid (carpinte) in a 'L' shaped tank, with 3 and a half foot and three foot along the back two edges, and holds about 75 gallons, plus the sump underneath. The texas is around the 5 inch mark. There was some dithers in there before some rainbows and smallish barbs) but they had to be removed because he was hammering them! I was wondering if any one had any suggestions for some company for him? It would be nice to add some other form of cichlid, but anything that can withstand him would be ok! I was considering a pair of cons or something like that but was unsure if they would be too much for him!?
Thanks very much for any suggestions!
Liam.

Fishguy2727
02-04-2007, 11:01 PM
It depends on how bad he is and what you can find that is big enough already (unless you have a growout tank).

Severus
02-05-2007, 03:31 AM
You definitely need to look towards the aggressive side. I would make sure whatever you add is as big or bigger than him because that is "his" tank.

Glasstapper
02-06-2007, 05:31 AM
typically, other american cichlids of the same aggression would be ok. You could try a jack dempsey, an oscar, or....dare I say it?....a salvini. The salvini is a medium sized cichlid at 8 inches or so full grown, but don't let the size fool you. The salvini is also suggested for tankmates such as jaguar cichlids and the like. He can stand up for himself, offers beautiful coloration, and doesn't add too much to your bioload. I've also heard of success with green terrors and convicts (also a medium sized meanie!), but not sure about a pair of convicts--that pair might be too much for your tex to handle.

All those listed above are what I've heard of other people keeping together (not all together, of course, but variations with the texas cichlid). Just pick which fish you think you would like most and give it a try. One jack dempsey may be a pussycat compared to another that lives up to the name. It helps a ton if they are the same size, and if you introduce the new guy just after rearranging deco.

good luck!

deckard_wa
02-06-2007, 10:04 AM
Your best bet IMO is a Salvini, they can handle almost any fish you care to name and have absolutely stunning colouration too when they're grown. If your Tex is 5" try and get one 3" - 4" and you should be set thumbs2:

Abbeys_Mom
02-06-2007, 01:59 PM
I read this post and can't help but think about what an L shaped tank looks like. Could you post pics?

Severus
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM
Im assuming its custom but i would also love to see pics. I think it would be cool

Fishguy2727
02-07-2007, 01:44 AM
From what I have seen they used to make them standard, just not anymore as far as I know.

Severus
02-07-2007, 05:15 AM
yes, i cant imagine them being very space efficient