PDA

View Full Version : Cichlid Experts - Compatibility Suggestions

dbmaven
01-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Starting a new 90gal tank As seen here (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showpost.php?p=436587&postcount=1)

I've got a school of 9 Rosy Barbs and one Common Pleco @ 9" that will be moved when the tank is ready.

It will be a planted tank - but I want to wait to set up substrate depending on natural habitat for the inhabitants. Looking to use a mix of Eco-Complete, fine gravel and sand (more sand than gravel since most Cichlids appear to prefer it) - with the Eco and gravel mostly in the rear/sides of the tank tapering into mostly sand in the front/center. Plenty of rock for caves/hiding places and at least one if not 2 pieces of driftwood/eucalyptus roots.

I'm looking for suggestions as to water chemistry and behavior compatibility for cichlids to join these guys.

Some that interest me and would seem to be OK are:
Rainbow Cichlids
Blue and/or Gold Rams
Apistogramma Cacatuoides (Red or Orange Cockatoos)
Keyhole Cichlids
Blue Acara

Obviously a wide range there. I'd like some that are larger than the Barbs (the largest of which is 3 to 3-1/4 in.)

Which do you suggest, and how many of them ? Would a mix of smaller and larger cichlids work?

Telling me I'm out of my mind is fine :hmm3grin2orange: - just tell me why ! (blush)

Lady Hobbs
01-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Why is life so unfair! If you don't have a husband, you can hardly afford fish tanks but if you do have a husband you have to ask him and he may say no.

Demjor19
01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Why is life so unfair! If you don't have a husband, you can hardly afford fish tanks but if you do have a husband you have to ask him and he may say no.

On the flip side...my girlfriend and I both love fish and spend all of our money on them! You just cant win!

...and i love German Blue Rams and Apistos, so i would go with either of them.

dbmaven
01-27-2009, 06:12 PM
You just cant win!

Actually - there are 2 rules in this 'game' - and they generally apply to most situations...

Rule 1 - You can't win.
Rule 2 - You've got to play anyway.

:shappy:

Sharkman
01-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Generally, you can't mix and match dwarf cichlids as it is really a gamble if they will coexist or not. What you can do is get a pair of rams or a pair of blue acaras. Try to sex them first so you don't end up with 2 males. Sometimes one male and 2 females works well too.

Crispy
01-27-2009, 08:54 PM
Geo's (eartheaters) are small and some of the more docile cichlids, they would go well with rams or acaras.

btate617
01-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Geo's (eartheaters) are small and some of the more docile cichlids, they would go well with rams or acaras.

some are small and some not so small i think is what crispy meant

dbmaven
01-28-2009, 04:49 PM
First - thanks to all who offered thoughts - I truly appreciate it.

I think I've narrowed things down - here's my thought process.

Since the tank is fairly tall, and not so 'long' (4 feet), it would probably be best to stick with a single species - so as not to cause territory wars. Combine this with the fact that I'd prefer something in the 'mid-range' in size (e.g. >4 in. and < 10 in.) also helps to narrow things down a bit.

For that reason, I'm planning on setting up for Blue Acara (Aequidens pulcher)

The remaining question then is "How many?". Presuming that I can determine gender - would a mating pair make sense - since I believe they mate for life?

toddnbecka
01-29-2009, 06:12 AM
Start with 5-6 juvies, and after a pair is established return the extras to your lfs. The tank size is suitable for a mated pair, but don't expect to raise cichlid fry with the other fish.

Crispy
01-29-2009, 06:06 PM
I agree with toddnbecka.

dbmaven
01-29-2009, 10:47 PM
My other research confirms what you've both said - thanks !

Which is making me check out alternatives, since I'd prefer to have more/smaller specimens.

So, I'm rethinking the whole thing - and leaning towards apistogrammas.

So, any opinions on those?

Thanks again !!

toddnbecka
01-30-2009, 03:21 AM
Apisto's aren't a good choice to mix with barbs IMO. They're a bit on the delicate side, and would be better suited to tetras as tankmates.