PDA

View Full Version : Experiences?: shrimp w/ kuhlii loaches

Fishguy2727
01-27-2009, 01:38 AM
I have some shrimp in a 10 with a few fish. I like kuhliis a lot and we have a couple nice ones at work. Obviously they can be in other tanks but you never see them. I was hoping someone has tried them with shrimp. Any problems?

I have amano and cherry shrimp, I will probably add some ghost. Will it be fine (maybe cut down success with cherry breeding)?

Red
01-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Fishguy, like you know, kuhlis need to be in groups and some think a 10 gallon is to small, but i think it is very close. They are very active during the night and love to look for food, i have some in my 75 and they all over the place. I bet you have some marine estes sand in there (thats my fav. sand) and they like it a lot. But back to the original question, i have some in with some full grown ghost shrimps and some cherries and they do fine. If anything some babies might get ate.

Fishguy2727
01-27-2009, 03:52 AM
Actually this tank was in my sister's room forever, so it managed to not get switched to Estes' Marine Sand. Ther is Estes' Bits of Walnut gravel, a very small gravel, in there now. There is A TON of java moss in there, a moss ball, places for the shrimp to hide.

I personally think if you never see them they aren't worth having. I will try them and maybe get a single LED for watching them at night, see if I think they are too crowded.

Red
01-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Yeah, i always see mine. They are very busy fish. I think they feel comfortable being in there and school with the cories and all the oter fish that inhabit the bottom. I think they shrimp will be fine..

Northernguy
01-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey guys!
I have a question about shrimp and Respect both your opinions.I have a 35g community tank with guppies cories and hopefully some bn plecos soon.I would like to add some shrimp(possibly ghost shrimp)hopefully Cherry shrimp.
How will they survive in my tank?Is there anything to worry about?
I have never kept shrimp before.
I was aslo thinking about a few kuhlis too keep the sand sifted.
Any suggestions?

Fishguy2727
01-28-2009, 07:21 PM
The best thing for keeping sand sifted is Malaysian trumpet snails, kuhliis won't really help.

Cories may bother them, depending on what type, etc.

The best option is try ghost shrimp. They are cheap and hardy. If they work out then you can consider other options like cherry.

Northernguy
01-29-2009, 12:44 AM
I thought the kuhlis dug through the substrate all the time!
Am I thinking of something else?
I want nothing to do with any snails but Aple snails !lol
You can see their eggs!lol

Fishguy2727
01-29-2009, 12:54 AM
The Malaysian trumpet snails are a great addition to a sand bottom tank, and easy to deal with if they get out of hand.

Kuhliis will do in the substrate, but mine don't very much. Definitely not enough to keep the substrate aerated.

Red
01-29-2009, 01:04 AM
agreed, if anything mine just stick there head in the sand for food. They don't really "dig" around it. My horse face loach digs and burries himself in the sand, but i also suggest MTS.

Northernguy
01-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Red I am going to stick to Apple snails.
The sand I have is a good size grain and not powdery at all.I vacuum every 5 days anyhow.I don't think I'll have a gas problem.The corys help as well.
I am getting some shrimp next week.Just something else to look at. lol

thezookeeper
02-14-2009, 06:33 AM
I have kuhlis in a tank with ghost shrimp and they do not bother the shrimp. However I had ghost shrimp in with dojo's and they ate the shrimp. Lesson learned. LOL

karbomb
02-14-2009, 06:43 AM
i'd say get some ghost shrimp and try it out. ghost shrimp are extremely cheap and many will die off anyway within 2-3 weeks of getting them (stay away from any looking white-ish). it would be a good test to see if your loaches will eat them. i'd get double the amount of ghost shrimp that you actually want IME.