PDA

View Full Version : Money, Brains and Brawn

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2007, 06:33 PM
I wasn't sure where to put this post as it involves serveral issues relating to more than one thing so stuck it here.

My plan was to buy 2-75 gallon tanks. I have room for two more tanks and since 75's take up no more room lengthwise than 55's, thought I may as well go with those.

However, 75's would need canister filters so now we are talking more money. Right now I have an Emporer 400 and a Penguin 350 that works fine on the 55 but I will need better filtration for a 75 gallon obviously.

So question number one: Can a canister be set up to filter more than one tank? And if so, what size would be needed for 2-75 gallons. (I know a HOTB would also be needed most likely.)

Second question: I would like to plant one of these tanks but also know that surface bubbles are not good for planted tanks as they deplete the oxygen. So would the HOTB be something I should not use? This leads to a 3rd question of:
Is as much filtration needed for planted tanks as those unplanted?

All these little problems as well as the main problem of renting a truck and driving the hour to even pick these tanks up and how to unload them.

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2007, 07:03 PM
i do not know if you can rig a canister filter for 2 tanks, but I use a canister filter on my 20g long planted tank.

HOB filters are bad because all the water spraying allover, but canisters work fine because I put the output hose under water so there is no surface being disturbed.

In my opinion, you need more filtration because theres rotting little bits of plant allover, and only a canister can really take care of them.

jeffs99dime
02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
hobbs, there are filters, such as the eheim professional 3 that have duel inlets/outlets. it is totally possible to set it up like that. this model also has an inline heater system. very pricey though. i try to "turn over" 8-10 times the volume of the tank per hour because i have a very stocked tank. in a planted tank you shouldn't need as much filtration as a non-planted tank and you don't want a huge current. it's really dependant on how many/ how big of a bioload there is too. for unloading the tanks, beings as they're both 75's you will need another person to help you. i have a truck, but i'm kind of far! lolthumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks. The filtration leaves me in the dust regarding planted tanks so all the help was appreciated. How to afford one of those duel jobbers would be another. I am far from "tuned in" to figuring things like that out. The most mechanical thing I do is cut my meat.

minabird
02-05-2007, 07:47 PM
Second question: I would like to plant one of these tanks but also know that surface bubbles are not good for planted tanks as they deplete the oxygen. So would the HOTB be something I should not use?

I use a Whisper HOB filters with adjustable water flow rate on 3 of my platned tanks and all of my plants are doing well. Just keeep the water level high enough to reduce the water fall effect.

This leads to a 3rd question of:
Is as much filtration needed for planted tanks as those unplanted?

I've read on several websites that the water turnover thru a filter for a heavily planted tank that is understocked should be 4 times the tank volume vice 10 times for a fish only tank.

cocoa_pleco
02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
I have 2 hobs on my 10g, an aquaclear, and whisper also. The whisper is VERY quiet and leaves little to no current, good 4 plants

Nautilus291
02-05-2007, 10:56 PM
As long as you keep your plants well trimmed you should be ok.

ALso It may be just as cheep for you to get 2 canister filters then the one that jeff is talking about. And if you wanted to change the water of one tank it would mess with the water of the other tank, Like if one of your tanks had to recycled it would mess up both of them.

Drumachine09
02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I have 2 hobs on my 10g, an aquaclear, and whisper also. The whisper is VERY quiet and leaves little to no current, good 4 plants

Hence the name?!?!?!?!?

cocoa_pleco
02-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Hence the name?!?!?!?!?

makes sense! lol:4: :1:

Lady Hobbs
02-06-2007, 02:47 AM
Thanks Minabird..........good information.

Glasstapper
02-07-2007, 02:00 AM
If you wanted a second filter to your canister and don't want splashing, you could do an internal filter. All that's inside is a sponge thing that you never change out (just rinse once in a while in tank water to get food and stuff off) and it could create a soft current towards the front of the tank if you placed it on the side towards the front blowing across. That soft current going longways would also re-enact a river stream, if that's something you're thinking of going for.

Drumachine09
02-07-2007, 02:02 AM
I always wondered how to get current in a tank.

Lady Hobbs
02-07-2007, 02:20 AM
Glasstapper, you simple can not go anywhere. You have too many good ideas.

Glasstapper
02-07-2007, 02:27 AM
*blush* lol, thanks! And I'll still be around once in a while, just not quite so often. Or heck, who knows....maybe more. I've heard stories of people being so bored over there and spending all of their time online. I guess we'll see.

Chrona
02-08-2007, 04:12 AM
*blush* lol, thanks! And I'll still be around once in a while, just not quite so often. Or heck, who knows....maybe more. I've heard stories of people being so bored over there and spending all of their time online. I guess we'll see.

Set a webcam in front of your fishtank! lol

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Set a webcam in front of your fishtank! lol

And we'll give someone orders how to do maintenence on the tank while youre away

Glasstapper
02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
lol, that would be very cool, but there really isn't anyone around here that I trust. The only other person I know that even has fish is a chick I work with that thought 5 goldfish, a betta, and two ottos would be fine in a 5 gallon tank. O_o Now she's only down to one goldfish (duh) and she named him Killer. She hasn't given him a water change in months. The only time Killer gets water changes is when I go visit. :(

cocoa_pleco
02-08-2007, 09:42 PM
how about we'll all pitch in ten grand and buy you a super robot that does perfect tank maintenence??lol