PDA

View Full Version : What is This???

Sharon
01-26-2009, 09:36 PM
....It doesn't look like worms...more like strands of fibre...

cer
01-26-2009, 09:48 PM
That is a checkered rainbowfish. I think they are also classified by another name.

Sharon
01-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Several of the fish have poop with these fibres attached. I think it must be something they ate. I added spider plants yesterday. I've attached them with suction cups, so that the bulb thingies are in the water and plant is out of the water. I think the fish may have been picking at the roots... maybe???

Jellygirl
01-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Oh Sharon,

I hope they are not worms. I had a dreadful time with them. I can't see for sure from the photos. Are they red in colour? Do they move at all. If they are worms you can be sure that the fish will stop eating and die in the next few weeks if left untreated. I have lost many fish to two outbreaks of worms and those two that did survive and manage to evacuate the worms had such badly damaged intestines that they also died.

I was advised to get some dewormer for discus fish.

Keep us posted and if you can post another picture all the better - fingers crossed for you.

Michelle

mac
01-27-2009, 04:09 AM
to me it looks like worms. As for the roots of the plants IMO I think it would not be so worm like in shape, more digested.

IMO I would try and get more of a close up if you can.

mac

Rue
01-27-2009, 04:14 AM
I'm not sure. I don't suppose you could get some and look at it under a microscope? Up close worms are very distinct...plus they should be moving.

Even a kiddie's microscope would do...or a very good magnifying glass.

toddnbecka
01-27-2009, 04:15 AM
Definitely not plant material, that would have been broken down by their digestive system much better than that.
Australian rainbow, btw...

Sharon
01-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Well, it's odd. Several of the fish were pooping this stuff last night. All fish seem very healthy...Good colour, all active, no bloating or thinness, good appetites...I guess it'll give to something to worry about, as if I needed that!

Jellygirl
01-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Hi Sharon,

I have shown below the worm treatment I ordered for my rams. It contains flubendazole. It is very easy to administer and does not harm plants, shirmps etc.

I do hope you (and I) have been worrying over nothing, but just in case you do get a close up and can confirm they are worms, I thought I'd post the treatment I used.

Good luck
Michelle

Sharon
01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Michelle!!! :ssmile: I'm hoping I don't need it, but if I do, at least I'll know what to order...