PDA

View Full Version : Question about anubias

bushwhacker
01-26-2009, 07:30 PM
everyone says you cant bury the rhizome, to tie it to a rock or wood. so how does this thing grow in the wild? why i'm asking is i have a few in my cichlid tank and you know how they dig, so they are always spitting sand on my anubias and burying the rhizome

Cameron
02-02-2009, 12:18 AM
in guess they have to grow in the ground, unless the magic rhizome fairy comes and ties them up, or sweep off the debris..

good question, im not positive..

Wild Turkey
02-02-2009, 12:22 AM
I would suspect: The roots hang off the rhizome and attach themselves to whatever it lands on or at, and so the roots dig in and the rhizome stays exposed.

KingFisher
02-02-2009, 02:43 AM
I found this on a horticulture site:
"In the wild, Anubias grow on the edges of streams and rivers, often with their roots firmly anchored around rocks, boulders and fallen logs. They are found in wet, shady, forest areas, frequently completely emersed, other times submerged."

Nothing about what happens if the rhizome gets buried though.

Wild Turkey
02-02-2009, 02:59 AM
Right, i think the point is: In the wild the rhizome wont really get buried unless something unfortunate happens, so that would be why burying it is not recommended. Ive seen java fern with the rhizome buried, it was fine, alive, but im pretty sure it could have been doing a lot better without being buried. So it most likely wont kill it if thats what you are interested in.

PUNISHER VETTE
02-02-2009, 03:23 AM
I have mine in the gravel. The rhizome part sticks out for the most part but the roots are all under gravel.

and did i mention mine grows great? new leaves every week or so and it even flowered a while back.

bushwhacker
02-02-2009, 08:29 PM
great most of the time i will pull them up when the cichlids bury em was just asking if it was really neccesary.. thanks for the answers guys

Wild Turkey
02-02-2009, 09:22 PM
I have mine in the gravel. The rhizome part sticks out for the most part but the roots are all under gravel.

and did i mention mine grows great? new leaves every week or so and it even flowered a while back.

Yups, thats whats recommended. As long as the rhizome isnt buried, like a root. Its green, which leads me to think it probably needs some light.

Lady Hobbs
02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Anubias grows emmersed and submersed. It grows huge emmersed. Great plant for terrianums.