PDA

View Full Version : Red Danios

Abbeys_Mom
02-04-2007, 05:33 PM
I just got 2 red danios ( I think that is what they are) For FREE and it was wondering if anyone has kept them before. I would like to know if there is a way to sex them. I only have 2, so it's not much of a school. I also wanted to know how to best illuminate them. I have heard that some people use black light, but is there any other way to do it. Blue light maybe?

jeffs99dime
02-04-2007, 05:45 PM
for reds to really pop use 10000k lights. are you looking to show them off at night? are you talking about glowfish. if you are, use actinic light.

Abbeys_Mom
02-04-2007, 06:20 PM
Turns out they are Danio choprae or glowlight danios.

Lady Hobbs
02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
They sound awesome. I bet a bunch of them would "pop" without any light changes. I love the long-finned blue ones I have. (Only two!) Can't find any more anywhere.

Abbeys_Mom
02-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I got some pics, but I had to take them from across the room. They move so fast, I scared them when I stood near the tank. When they settle down, I'll get some more. They are already starting to colour up.

Abbeys_Mom
02-04-2007, 10:58 PM
Anyone know when they will stop freaking out? The poor things never stop swimming!

Severus
02-05-2007, 03:51 AM
Thats how Danios are. All of mine are constantly on the move chasing one another around. Its pretty wild

kimmers318
02-05-2007, 04:22 AM
Danios are like terriers....always on the move and having to do something....swim back and forth, chase someone, attack the food like they haven't been fed in a week.....enjoy the neverending energy:thumb:

Abbeys_Mom
02-07-2007, 03:19 AM
I caved and bought a Hagen Power-Glo bulb. Spent $25 on it. I have to say "Holy Cow the thing is bright!". I was torn between the Aqua-Glo and the Power-Glo, ended up going for the one with more blue. The only true actinic lighting was for marine, and it had no red or yellow spectrum, so it wouldn't have been any good for my plants. The new bulb's 180000K. It doesn't bring out the colour as much I would have liked, but I think it will look nicer when the plants fill out and there isn't as much empty space.

Incredulous_Ed
02-07-2007, 09:22 PM
Female danios are alot fatter than the slimmer males during the breeding time

kenyth
03-01-2007, 04:17 PM
They have Green one's too! I can't find them anywhere though. You have to order them at 8 bucks a pop, plus 25 bucks shipping, plus having to stay home to get them on a weekday or pay another 20 bucks for Saturday delivery.

Even with all this, every site I find them available on is out of stock! Hell, I can't even get the red and blue ones locally unless I'm quick! They sell fast. :(

Betta_noob
03-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Is it possible to get a couple more of them maybe? They might be lonly :(
I have a small school of 4, two sunburst orange and two starfire red.

Abbeys_Mom
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
Mine are a naturally occurring danio, not the glofish kind. I would have gotten more, but I didn't buy them, they were given to me by the LFS and I don't have the money or room for any more.