PDA

View Full Version : Help with Discus Choice

Doak6021
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
I will soon be turning my 75 gallon tank into a community/SA tank and I plan to put some discus in there. With the tank having other occupants I am looking for some smaller discus(max size).

Are there any type of discus that are typically smaller than others?

SpyderSpy6
01-31-2009, 09:27 AM
Doak-

To answer your question...

I don't believe there are any dwarf species/smaller sized discus breed. I would assume that your discus are going to grow full size, and from there you can either overcrowd (which may keep them smaller, but I don't recomend doing that) or you can hope for the best by asking a LFS how long they have had the discus and how much it has grown since they recieved the fish. I have kept plenty of room in my fish tank for my discus and I have two that don't seem to get any bigger. I can't give you a straight answer of why that is. I feed them all the same foods and same quantities, but 4 out of the 6 are just bigger sized fish. If you are able to find a discus that has been at the LFS for more than 2-3 months with not much growth, chances are the fish isn't going to get much bigger. With that in mind, you need to think about why that fish is smaller. Was it brought up in an overcrowded tank? Was in not fed the proper foods? and the reason being is that it may not be a healthy discus if that's the case. Even though I have two smaller discus, they seem to be in good shape and have had no issues. I just would hate for you to think you are getting a smaller sized discus only to find it is not very healthy. I would plan your fish tank assuming your discus will be full size and then adjust accordingly. I hope that helps!

jestep
02-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Discus in themselves are all the same, but their max size is greatly depending on their parents. I've got a marlboro who's parents were almost 10". He outgrew every other Discus in my tank in a few months. Most of my fish were 5 - 6" and he was about 1.5 when I got him. He's huge now. If you don't know the parent's size, there's really no way to know how big a Discus will get. Water quality, food, parasites, and their environment play a large roll in how big they will get, but as stated there's no smaller types of Discus than others. You always want the best conditions, food and water because it will make a stronger and healthier Discus. Size should be an afterthought to health.