PDA

View Full Version : possible neon killer?

tab
01-26-2009, 02:41 PM
hey everyone,

i brought a male betta a couple of weeks ago and he is in a 94 litre tank with some cories, 2 baby bristlenose, a couple of african dwarf frogs, 4 minows and until this morning, 4 neons.

when i checked the tank this morning i made the gruesome discovery of half a neon. it literally looked as though it had been chopped in half. the other half is no where to be found.

could this have been the betta? i have not seen him acting aggressively at all.

troy
01-26-2009, 02:43 PM
It could have been.Some are very aggressive and don't tolerate other tankmates.

tab
01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
yeah i am aware of that but like i said, i haven't seen him behave in an aggressive manner at all. :confused:

i wanted to know if anyone had experienced a similar attack that would be typically betta.

Northernguy
01-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Have you checked your perameters lately? Can you post them?
If the neon was dead on the bottom than it was eaten by the frogs or picked at by the other fish.
Neons are not the hardiest of fish.

tab
01-26-2009, 03:50 PM
i did a 10% water change yesterday, which i do every week. not tested the water so don't know the parameters. all the other fish look fine though.

the neon was floating on the surface. i'm just confused as the poor little guy looked as though someone had sliced him in half. i've never seen anything like it.

Northernguy
01-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Fish eat fish and frogs are scavengers.Dead fish is fair game!
My beta has been in a 10gal. with neons for close to a year now with no problems.Neons tend to die for no reason,they are a weak species.I went through a few before finding hardy ones.

Dubie
01-28-2009, 12:21 AM
I have a female betta in my tank, and I recently added 10 Cardinals. I went to bed, and woke up to find 8 cardinals killed (not just dead) over night. A few moments after I woke up, I witness the female betta kill the second last cardinal. Now, I have one lone survivor, and there is no doubt in my mind who the killer is. There is also a Dwarf gourami, and a Sailfin molley, but they seem to be ignoring the last tetra where the betta agressivly chases after it.

cer
01-28-2009, 12:53 AM
How big is the neon and the betta?

tab
01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
thanks for all your replies.

the neons were really small and rather than risk any more fatalities, the remaining 3 are now settled in a friends tank with lots more neon playmates.

my betta is a gorgeous boy and everyone else in the tank is getting along with him fine. i'm sorry that my poor little neon suffered cos of my ignorance so i won't be making that mistake again!