PDA

View Full Version : clawed frog tried to eat my cory

mrs fishpatrick
01-26-2009, 01:06 PM
Yesterday I looked in my tank and to my horror my african clawed frog had one od my pepper cory's sticking out of his mouth, i managed to free the poor fish but he is not in great shape, to be honest this particular cory has always been a bit of a disaster and in some opinions should be culled as he is quite deformed, he is missing his barbels, a tail and both his pectoral fins but I still feel sorry for the little b*stard, now I am worried about my other fish in the same tank, I still have 3 month old kribensis fry in there and they would easily fit into his gob

invadertoast
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Clawed frogs will eat anything, even if it's too big for their mouth. I'd move him into his own tank. I had one eat a neon tetra that was longer than the frog's body...

Sharon
01-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Agreed!!! Clawed frogs and fish are not a good mix....

dmagerl
01-26-2009, 02:12 PM
My sister had 2 clawed frogs and 2 Convicts. One day one of the Convicts disappeared. Then a few weeks later, one of the frogs disappeared. Meanwhile, the other frog was getting bigger and bigger. Finally, the other convict disappeared leaving only a very big bloated frog. You could almost hear an "urp, s'cuse me" coming from the tank.

Well, now that the frog from hell had eaten all the live food, for the next 10 years we ended up feeding the beast whole chicken livers. Its the only thing it would eat.

I learned 3 things:
1. frogs eat anything
2. they get big
3. they dont die.

-dickm

Naturestee
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Clawed frogs will eat anything, even if it's too big for their mouth. I'd move him into his own tank. I had one eat a neon tetra that was longer than the frog's body...

Yup. Clawed frogs really don't belong with fish although I do know some people who keep them with larger cichlids. They are large predators after all.

mrs fishpatrick
01-28-2009, 08:56 PM
great now I find out, if anything goes missing, "freddie" will be rehomed

Naturestee
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
IMO just rehome him or get him a separate tank now. He's just not safe with your other fish. They're tasty bite-sized morsels to him.

invadertoast
01-29-2009, 10:35 PM
IMO just rehome him or get him a separate tank now. He's just not safe with your other fish. They're tasty bite-sized morsels to him.

I agree! They will try to swallow anything, I've heard of them "choking" before. When mine ate my neon, the head was sticking out and it ended up chewing the head off and swallowing the body. They are gluttons...