PDA

View Full Version : Purple Tip Anemone

reptile dude007
01-26-2009, 03:34 AM
Hi, I recently bought a Purple tip Anemone for my Maroon clown fish. My problom is, is that the clown seems to be scared of it. What should I do? I researched and from what I understand these are a great host anemone.

travie
01-26-2009, 04:12 AM
Nothing you can really do about. Its up to the clownfish to host the Anemone at this point. Just have to wait and hope. There is a chance the clownfish won't host at all.

cocoa_pleco
01-26-2009, 04:35 AM
you can just wait

how olds the tank? anemones need tanks at least a year old and are very sensitive to nitrates

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-26-2009, 04:36 AM
Well, since that type of anemone would never see any kind of clown, it's not completely surprising. This is where researching things would come in handy. Condylactus anemones are native the Caribbean and there are no clowns that are. It is very very rare to find a clown of any kind hosting in a Condy. Because captivity does change things, there is still a chance it will host, but that particular anemone has the lowest chance of any of having a clown host.

On the other hand, there are a couple of Anemones that are sometimes sold as "Purple Tips" and the other one is a Sebae. Sebae anemones have one of the worst survival track records among anemones in tanks, however they are one of the better hosting anemone. With that said, Sebae anemones are not sold under that name very often at all. I've personally only seen it once, so more than likely what you have is a Condy.

One final thing that will have an effect on hosting clowns. Captive bred clowns are often less likely to host then wild caught clowns. Wild caught clowns are taken from anemones whereas most captive bred clowns have never even seen an anemone.

Even with all those controlable variables it is still an individual thing. Those variables will all come into play but ultimately it is up to the clown to choose to host.

rageybug
02-08-2009, 09:16 PM
I know this thread is bit older but thought I'd jump in anyways. It is almost impossible to have a clown host in a condy. As ILMGB said, they come from different places. If you are fortunate enough to find a clown hosting in a condy at your LFS (rare but it happens) you could buy them both and the relationship should continue in your tank.

Usually a condy is just an inexpensive way to have a nice anenome or a good way for a LFS to scam the "mommy, I want Nemo" people.