PDA

View Full Version : BN guarding eggs

toddnbecka
01-26-2009, 01:28 AM
When I stripped down half of my 30 long to siphon the pleco poop (6 L333's, 4 BN's growing out) I discovered that the BN's are now large enough to spawn. I placed a cluster of large barnacle shells in the tank some time ago, in hopes that the L333's would find them suitable when they matured. When I lifted the cluster out of the tank, there were BN's hiding in 3 different shells. Not unusual, with a spawning pair of chanchito's on the other end of the tank. Only 1 BN released it's hold when I repeatedly dipped and rinsed the shells, the other 2 stubbornly refused to vacate. When I looked closer, I saw that the larger one was semi-wrapped around a quarter-size cluster of orange eggs. Since it's almost certainly the first spawn it remains to be seen whether they'll be lost from the disturbance or simply inexperience. The ironic part is, the last time I stripped the tank for a thorough cleaning like this, a few days later the cichlids had their first spawn of wigglers hanging in the floating mass of Najas in spite of their "cave" (sunken ship ornament) being moved around, and it looks like they're guarding eggs now.
No clue which BN was the mother, but I suspect they may be carrying the long fin gene. In any case, time will tell.

Ellen4God
01-26-2009, 01:30 AM
woo! Hope it works out for you! :)

toddnbecka
01-26-2009, 01:35 AM
It's just a matter of time, and making tankspace for growing out fry. Once they start spawning they're certain to keep it up. If this first batch actually makes it I hope they'll be alright in the current tank for at least another month. With luck I should be walking again by that time...

troy
01-26-2009, 01:35 AM
Congratulations!thumbs2: :19:

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2009, 01:47 AM
Yea. Hope they make it. Good spawn to sell since everyone seems to want them.

Northernguy
01-26-2009, 02:38 AM
Congrats! :22:
Always a nice surprise unless of course you have convicts or anyone of those other none stop multipliers!:hmm3grin2orange:

Brookfish
01-28-2009, 12:42 AM
Congrats on the spawn, best of luck with them!!

abaigael04
01-28-2009, 02:02 AM
thumbs2: congrats on the spawn! :19:

toddnbecka
01-28-2009, 02:56 AM
Even if the first spawn or two don't make it I'm sure there will be some that do eventually. Now I really need to get the basement situated and set up the 2 75's. One of those would be great for breeding/raising BN's since I now have at least 1 spawning pair.