PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on used media to help cycle.

TazManiac
01-25-2009, 11:40 PM
Hi All,

As you all know I am trying to get around to getting my tank started. I cannot get ammonia in Tasmania as we are an island and have really strict regulations about what can be shipped here for some stupid reason.

I am thinking of doing a fish cycle and using some 'gunk' from a seeded filter.

What I need your opinion on is whether to use the media from my neighbours tank. She has had it set up for 5 years and looks well maintained with nice fish load. She was telling me that she has had ich a few times though. Would you feel comfortable using it now as there is no infection or would it be best to not use it?

Thanks

Aaron

ctaggart
01-25-2009, 11:49 PM
I am very sorry, this is completely off topic. How do you clean without ammonia??

lovleeko
01-26-2009, 12:17 AM
How long has it been since she has had it? You could always add some salt to the tank for two weeks just to be sure. After two weeks with no host, any ick should be dead.

TazManiac
01-26-2009, 01:14 AM
It has definitely been longer than two weeks since she had it. We all moved into this new subdivision two and a half months ago and she hasn't had it since I have known her.

Ctaggart: We use commercial cleaning products. I don't think I would use ammonia even if we could get it here... Who wants to clean with a product that sticnks like cats excrement?

Northernguy
01-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Its way too late unfortunately!The bacteria don't last long out of water without fish and a running filter.
Can you get some Tetra Safe Start or Seachem Stability?
They are both products that are suppose to give you a really good cycle boost.You will have to monitor your tank closely and follw instructions.
Water changes for the nitrite and ammonia peaks.

lovleeko
01-26-2009, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I'd use it. If it has been that long, no worries. Tetra safe start is awesome if you decide to go that route. Is there anyway she can just give you a piece of her media?

Northernguy
01-26-2009, 01:32 AM
lol I misread that I thought it has been two months since she had a tank. :14: I'll be alright!
Yes get all the crud you can off her filter onto your sponge and bag some gravel as well so you can place it under your filter intake.You will also need some fish right away to get the cycle started.Adding one of the previous products will save you some work.
Monitor your perameters!
Ammonia 0 ,nitrites 0,nitrates under 20!
Sorry for the previous goof up.:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2009, 03:49 AM
Big time start out for you would have that filter media from her and add your fish the same day. Make sure it's good and grungy and she hasn't changed it lately. And another thing would be to have her vac her gravel and get all the mulm from under it.

TazManiac
01-26-2009, 06:11 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah she has had fish in there the whole time. Not sure if I can get some media from her but the gunk is a definite. her tank is nice and grubby at the moment cause she has been working too hard. Just have to get rid of the oil first.

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2009, 06:15 AM
What oil?

Talk her out of that filter pad. Tell her she really needs to clean that tank.

LOL

korith
01-26-2009, 06:33 AM
If you are patient and don't mind waiting another week or two. Take the brand new media from your tank, and just add it to your friend's tank. You can put it in either her tank or in her filter if there is room. Leave it in there for a good 2 weeks or so. Then when you are ready, put the media into a bag with some tank water, keep it wet, then put it into your filter.