PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Snail Question

JimTheBetta
01-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Now why I know the answer to this, my sister apparently doesn't trust me, so I have to ask. We are getting some new Assassin snails to try and take care of our slowly getting worse and worse pond snail situation. She is worried about the Assassin snails hurting, or otherwise going after or bothering our Kuhli Loaches. I don't know how that would even work, those little guys are fast. But she is making me ask or she won't buy the snails, and I don't want to have to keep removing em by hand.

Thanks for putting up with this question :P

Wild Turkey
01-25-2009, 03:02 AM
Lol yes the snail would need a jetpack or a lasso at the very least. :D

toddnbecka
01-25-2009, 03:45 AM
I have read a few accounts of assassin snails taking down a small fw shrimp, though it's a quite rare occurence dependent on opportunity. If a shrimp happens to be close enough for the assassin to grab, it's a done deal. I haven't seen anyone claiming to have lost any fish to them though, and I have a colony of Endler's sharing the tank w/the assassin snails. I have found a few dead fish but thier bodies were intact, not even a sign of scavenging by the assassin snails. If the ramshorns and MTS hadn't been wiped out by the assassins, the corpses would likely have been eaten before I found them.
Assassin snails will also eat meaty foods like frozen bloodworms, brine or mysys shrimp, beefheart, or high-protein pellets. I have also heard they will scavenge dead fish, but haven't seen it myself...