PDA

View Full Version : Betta fish as a gift

ninteen66mustang
01-24-2009, 09:11 PM
My family is planning on getting my 3 year old cousin a betta fish for his birthday. Obviously his parents will help take care of it, so I dont want it to be a big hassle for them (they already said it was okay though). I have a few questions about getting a betta, but mostly about tank conditions. Most importantly, does a tank need to be cycled for betta fish? Also, what kind of tank should I get? Im looking to spend under $50 total, so I dont want to go all out for a top of the line tank setup. However, I dont want to stick it in a tiny little bowl. Do bettas need filtration or anything?

Okay, so lastly, is a betta the best choice? Is there another kind of fish that still looks cool that is easier to take care of?

Thanks.

korith
01-24-2009, 09:36 PM
My family is planning on getting my 3 year old cousin a betta fish for his birthday. Obviously his parents will help take care of it, so I dont want it to be a big hassle for them (they already said it was okay though). I have a few questions about getting a betta, but mostly about tank conditions. Most importantly, does a tank need to be cycled for betta fish? Also, what kind of tank should I get? Im looking to spend under $50 total, so I dont want to go all out for a top of the line tank setup. However, I dont want to stick it in a tiny little bowl. Do bettas need filtration or anything?

Okay, so lastly, is a betta the best choice? Is there another kind of fish that still looks cool that is easier to take care of?

Thanks.

Make sure they realize they will need to do a weekly water change, and maybe explain how they should do them. You would need a filter of some sort, a sponge filter would be ideal, since bettas do not like too much current. Those small hex tanks sound ideal, the ones that around 5g or so. Have a heater for it and make sure it gets cycled before you put the betta in.

No idea on choice of fish, lots of options out there. Not sure how well a 3 year old would take care of the tank, so you should buy it with the intention of getting something your cousin's parents will take care and like.

Lady Hobbs
01-24-2009, 10:05 PM
The kid is 3. Isn't there something they can find for a 3 year old that they can actually play with and enjoy?

ninteen66mustang
01-24-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm thinking ill try to find a tank that is 3-5 gallons and has a filter and heater built in. I'll have to see if I can find one that is reasonably priced.

Like I said, we cleared it with the parents. I just want to find something that is easy for them to take care of anyways. I have heard of people being pretty cruel to their betta, and barely ever changing the water or anything, and I certainly dont want this to happen, but I also dont want the fish to die if the parents forget to change the water for an extra week or something.

Lady Hobbs- The 3 year old is my second cousin, and his grandpa (my uncle) has a large tank with some goldfish and stuff in it, and I also have a 10 gallon, and used to have a goldfish. He really likes fish, and enjoys watching and feeding them. I think he will like having a pet of his own. Plus, he has just about anything else he could want.

AABatteries
01-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Here (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+3857&pcatid=3857) would be a good tank, doesn't have a heater though. Same with this one (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3730+9017+3848&pcatid=3848), and it's the smaller one. I'll try to find some other tanks for you. Here's (http://www.aquariumguys.com/eclipse3.html) another. And the 15w version of this (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3743+12087&pcatid=12087) heater would be good for any tank 5g and under, would probably work in the Eclipse 6 too.

Mvjnz
01-25-2009, 01:11 AM
Wouldn't a better choice for a 3 year old be a sesame street play set? Or an Elmo toy?

I can't see a 3 year olf enjoying a fish, he will want something he can play with and touch.

The fish will be for the parents, so they have to be prepared to take care of it.

Sharon
01-25-2009, 01:36 AM
There are some pretty cute tanks for little kids. I saw a "Dora, the Explorer" tank, the other day at WalMart... all pretty and pink. Before anyone blasts me, little kids like that stuff. :hmm3grin2orange: I know the little boy won't want a pink tank but he may enjoy something similiar...

AABatteries
01-25-2009, 02:13 AM
I think I may have seen a finding nemo tank. But then he might want to go to the darkside(saltwater).

mac
01-25-2009, 05:01 AM
Wouldn't a better choice for a 3 year old be a sesame street play set? Or an Elmo toy?
I can't see a 3 year olf enjoying a fish, he will want something he can play with and touch.
The fish will be for the parents, so they have to be prepared to take care of it.

Have to agree with you. Although when I was three I loved fish. But I loved to touch them, so that was sort of out of the question at that point in time.

Hopefully some medium can be sorted out.

mac

Northernguy
01-25-2009, 03:23 PM
If you can get a good deal on a used complete 10 gal and cycle it from your tank,I feel would be best.Make sure the lid is hard to open!!!!!!
1 male beta and a small school of tetra is a nice easy to maintain tank.
For a 3yr old Lego rocks as long as they don't have to taste everything anymore.

bettagirl
01-25-2009, 07:48 PM
its cald a fansy gold fish i find they are a lote easer to tack care of.

AABatteries
01-25-2009, 09:00 PM
^ No offence, but are you in 3rd grade or something? EDIT: Read you're profile, you're 11. Still though. Not trying to be mean or anything, but you could work on your spelling.

Also fancy gold fish need a 20g+ tank because of their heavy bio load and the size they get.

ninteen66mustang
01-25-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Again- I'm sure he will like the fish, and he understands he cant touch them. He has had experience with fish. Also, I know the parents will take care of it, but it will be "his" fish. I might have to look for a Nemo tank, because im sure he would love that.

I found a pretty cheap 5 gallon setup. I think it should make it a little easier on the parents so they dont have to do water changes every week or anything.

Okay, so I also went to look at bettas at a couple stores and I was quite dissapointed. One of the stores seems like a good fish store and everything, but all the bettas I have seen have tattered fins, some with holes, some look torn, etc. How can I find a good looking betta? Will they perk up once they are in a better tank?

Thanks everyone.

Corndawg
01-25-2009, 10:21 PM
When Ive bought my 2, neither one was very healthy looking. But once they got fed right, and had room to enjoy themselves, they both started coloring in nicely, and becoming more active. Both their fins are growing like weeds now.

AABatteries
01-25-2009, 10:21 PM
With any tank you should never wait more than 2 weeks to do a water change, unless its some huge 1000g+ tank or something near that size. As for the betta, most usually will perk up and begin to look better.

EDIT: Here's (http://www.petco.com/product/104105/Tetra-Water-Wonders-Aquarium-Kit-featuring-Disney-Pixar%27s-Finding-Nemo.aspx?&cm_ven=GoogleBase&cm_cat=Fish&cm_pla=Disney&cm_ite=1106074&CAWELAID=201377133)the nemo tank, its only 1.5g though.

geminidragn
01-25-2009, 11:14 PM
I have seen Nemo tanks at PetSmart, but you'll need to buy the heater, gravel and fish. I'm not sure if it has plants. They were around $20-$30.

If your cousin has been around fish and knows about them then I would go for fish as a present. My son loves "his" fish Aslan, but I am the one who does most the work. We parents end up doing most of the caring for a pet no matter what kind of animal they are. My son is four as well, he "helps" feed him and talks to him all he time.

geminidragn
01-25-2009, 11:21 PM
About the tails, yes they will grow back after a new habitat. You might also make sure that they might have been crown-tails because in the cups crown-tails look like they have torn or tattered tails. That is the way they are suppose to look (if it was a crown-tail). Now if they were regular betas then I would be worried and not get one.

Make sure the one you pick is active and swims around in the cup when you look at him. Check his body for any dark spot or discoloration; as this is a sign of poor health and it could die.

Sharon
01-25-2009, 11:33 PM
I certainly wouldn't buy a Betta with tattered fins as a gift for a 3 year old. Try and find one with no problems. The little boy will be upset if the fish dies in a week...I've found some cases of finrot very stubborn, if not impossible to cure.
BTW...I think the Betta, as a gift is a great idea. Any pet teaches children an awful lot about love, responsibility, compassion, death...I could go on! It's a marvellous idea, as long as the parents are on board, as they are in this case...