PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an LPS coral

travie
01-24-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm looking for an LPS coral recommedation that will come close to fitting my conditions. I want an LPS coral that has relatively short tentacles and can be placed on LR. The spot that is open for this coral is about right in he middle of the tank. And the lighting is 150 w MH.

Recap: Short tentacles (trying to avoid coral warfare), relatively hardy, can be placed on LR, can handle 150w MH.

I already have a Candy Cane/Trumpet Coral and planning for a Brain Coral to go in a different spot.

Thanks so much.

travie

Rue
01-24-2009, 05:30 PM
I just got a cabbage leather...very cool ....

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
An LPS with relatively short tentacles...hmmm. Well, there is the option of Blastomusa, Duncans, Acans, and Favia or Favites. Those would be your best choices for what you are looking for. All of them will do well when placed on rocks and all can handle the MH Lighting fine. Bubble Corals have short tentacles but they are not a good choice for being placed on live rock and they prefer lower lighting levels.

kaybee
01-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Cabbage leathers are nice, but they're soft corals.

Great recommendations by ILMGB.
If you're willing to target feed (since they're non-photosynethetic), tubastraea (sun coral) would be a fine addition as well.

cocoa_pleco
01-24-2009, 05:51 PM
i agree with ILMGB

travie
01-24-2009, 05:52 PM
An LPS with relatively short tentacles...hmmm. Well, there is the option of Blastomusa, Duncans, Acans, and Favia or Favites. Those would be your best choices for what you are looking for. All of them will do well when placed on rocks and all can handle the MH Lighting fine. Bubble Corals have short tentacles but they are not a good choice for being placed on live rock and they prefer lower lighting levels.

My LFS has a few frags of Blastomusa and Favia for sure. Can't remember if they have any Duncans or Acans. I'll pick up a frag of one of these and a Brain tomorrow when I go to the LFS. I just need to find a Hairy Mushroom, then I will hopefully be done stocking corals.

kaybee
01-24-2009, 05:55 PM
...then I will hopefully be done stocking corals.

That's what we all say...:hmm3grin2orange:

travie
01-24-2009, 06:03 PM
That's what we all say...:hmm3grin2orange:

I can always hope, can't I? I don't know if I willl have any more room once I get those in my tank.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-24-2009, 06:10 PM
Travie, if you were close to me I could get you a Hairy Mushroom, I have 3 of them. :)

travie
01-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Travie, if you were close to me I could get you a Hairy Mushroom, I have 3 of them. :)

Indiana probably isn't close enough. Thank you for the offer though.

cocoa_pleco
01-24-2009, 09:39 PM
lol, if you were close to me you could have some of mine too, theyre monsters

Rue
01-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Cabbage leathers are nice, but they're soft corals.

Very true. Guess I'm just so excited about my 'new' discovery I'm sharing it everywhere...:hmm3grin2orange: