PDA

View Full Version : Reason to buy bigger tank

Jeffbdd
01-24-2009, 01:47 AM
Gave myself a good reason to buy a much bigger tank. Purchased about a 2.5" redtail catfish today.Beautiful fish. Only in a 55 gal for now which he'll be alright for bout 5 months. then ill shoot for a 150 gal which he will still out grow rather quickly.

Rue
01-24-2009, 02:07 AM
Well...you're putting the cart in front of the horse, or the fish in front of the tank...:hmm3grin2orange:

...but if you feel the 150 is too small...why not plan for bigger?

Jeffbdd
01-24-2009, 02:22 AM
55 wont bother him for 5-6 months. Id luv to plan for bigger if my wallet would come on that trip with me.

arherp
01-28-2009, 08:45 PM
You do know that RTC's live over 50 years, right? And, when fully grown, need a 18,000 gallon pond or a 10X12X12 pond, right? the 150 will last about 2-3 years, maybe.

Northernguy
01-28-2009, 09:41 PM
You do know that RTC's live over 50 years, right? And, when fully grown, need a 18,000 gallon pond or a 10X12X12 pond, right? the 150 will last about 2-3 years, maybe.
Good advice! Welcome to the AC!:22:
I would take that cat back until you know you can house it properly. Sorry!

btate617
01-28-2009, 09:48 PM
I was going to say you need an outdoor pond to house that thing but someone beat me to it.

btate617
01-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Would you put this in a 150.....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z299/btate617/th_redtail_catfish.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z299/btate617/?action=view&current=redtail_catfish.jpg)

Not my pic of course it came from
http://www.fish-azat-chatenet.com/jpgs/240x180/redtail_catfish.jpg

Brian

Northernguy
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Would you put this in a 150.....

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z299/btate617/th_redtail_catfish.jpg (http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z299/btate617/?action=view&current=redtail_catfish.jpg)

Not my pic of course it came from
http://www.fish-azat-chatenet.com/jpgs/240x180/redtail_catfish.jpg

Brian
Great advice but use the edit button if its before 15 minutes! lol

Sharon
01-28-2009, 10:29 PM
Goog Lord! It shouldn't even be legal to buy one of those!!!!:ssuprised:

Jeffbdd
01-28-2009, 10:38 PM
I guess its a good thing i plan to keep the fish for fifty years.:11:
So when judging tank size around here people seem to look at wut the fish will be in 2- however many years which cracks me up. The way it works now is when the fish is too big, i get a bigger tank. Then when hes too big for that, he goes to someone that has something big enough to house him.
BTW hes only 1.5 right now

Northernguy
01-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Its a fish forum and we do take it seriously!
Its not a great idea to buy a fish you cannot keep.Its real easy to get stuck with a large fish because people tend to want to watch their fish grow. For them to grow the way they should they the right space.

Sharon
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I wasn't trying to be nasty...I just looked at that fish, and thought there's no way, one of those could be happy in a home aquarium. That thing is HUGE! :ssmile:

btate617
01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
So when judging tank size around here people seem to look at wut the fish will be in 2- however many years which cracks me up. The way it works now is when the fish is too big, i get a bigger tank. Then when hes too big for that, he goes to someone that has something big enough to house him.

you are not going to keep him for 50 years if you plan on......
he goes to someone that has something big enough to house him.
Those fish are a joke for people to put in their homes IMO, you seriously can't house it properly.
But the pet store made their money and thats what counts......

Wild Turkey
01-28-2009, 11:38 PM
you are not going to keep him for 50 years if you plan on......
he goes to someone that has something big enough to house him.
Those fish are a joke for people to put in their homes IMO, you seriously can't house it properly.
But the pet store made their money and thats what counts......

100% agree here. Not trying to pick at you or anything. But i would say buying a fish like that and putting it in a tank is O.K. .....if you are already into ponds and all that. Whoever said its "putting the cart ahead of the horse" has it right.
So far ive heard two plans from you
1.give it away
2.keep it for 50 years

for 1. to buy the fish you should already know someone who has ponds and would be willing to take it.
for 2. to buy the fish you need to already at least be into ponds, and be able to build one yourself and have the fiscal ability as well.

I was gonna sum this up with "do your research first" but it doesnt really apply here unless i change it to "do your research and choose a fish thats appropriate for your tank/pond and your ability to give specialized care."

Gemini
01-29-2009, 12:32 AM

Um you dont' plan on keeping it for 50 years. You plan on giving it away when its too big.

I guess I wouldn't put my baby niece who is 60cms a shelf to live on until she was 80cms, then a cupboard until she was 120cms, then a bigger wardrobe until she was 150cms etc.

Jeffbdd
01-29-2009, 12:47 AM
This is my first RTC, My uncle had one about 8 years ago in his 75, he ended up at the Henry Doorly Zoo, Not too much else to do with them. No matter how u look at it, the pet store will sell them and they will end up in an aquarium. So might as well make it mine for the time being

btate617
01-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Not too much else to do with them. you summed it up nicely

Gemini
01-29-2009, 12:58 AM
This is my first RTC, My uncle had one about 8 years ago in his 75, he ended up at the Henry Doorly Zoo, Not too much else to do with them. No matter how u look at it, the pet store will sell them and they will end up in an aquarium. So might as well make it mine for the time being
Demand and supply. No demand = no supply. They sell them because people buy them. And house them inappropriately IMO.

Jeffbdd
01-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Ya but neither me or u is gonna stop that. So as far as it goes for my fish that i bought, His future looks pretty prominent. I dun think uve ever seen the henry doorly zoo so u probly thinkn another small tank. Alot of fish around here that are too big end up there, Arawanas r another.

Northernguy
01-29-2009, 01:18 AM
I hope you have insurance!
They don't call them tank busters for nothing!

Gemini
01-29-2009, 02:20 AM
Ya but neither me or u is gonna stop that. So as far as it goes for my fish that i bought, His future looks pretty prominent. I dun think uve ever seen the henry doorly zoo so u probly thinkn another small tank. Alot of fish around here that are too big end up there, Arawanas r another.
Perhaps not - but I don't intend on encouraging it.

Red
01-29-2009, 02:25 AM
I find it completely outrageous and plain stupid when people buy fish, and the biggest tank they have is not even close on what you need for the fish. I would return it. RTC grow fast, real fast and will eat anything in the tank. Way to go, supporting selling fish that get way to big for the tank. Great fish keeping.

HomaridNoob6
01-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Ok, so it is not a fish that works great in most people's tanks, it needs space, A LOT. I have to agree that since his LFS had them for sale someone was gonna buy it, and better someone that wants to get it a bigger tank and better home, than someone who will throw it in a 20 and expect it to be fine forever. I truly wish RTC's weren't so popular and sold so often, but i have to say the same for Oscars, of course they are much easier to accomodate. Either way, he has the fish now, and it'd be great to hear some advice on how he can keep it as happy as possible with the setup he has. RTC's are very attractive fish, and i can imagine how tempting they are to buy when they're small and cute.

My advice would also be, take the fish back, but he plans on keeping it for now from what i read. So please give him some advice on keeping it happy, and once it gets big, crazy, and hard to keep, maybe we'll have another person with experience to discourage stores from selling these (potential) monsters.

RTC's are one of my favorites, id love to have an all cat tank with them and shovelnoses, unfortunately i don't have a big enough tank for that. Please in the future, don't buy fish you don't plan on keeping for their whole lifespan. Best of luck with your RTC.

Gemini
01-29-2009, 04:56 AM
So please give him some advice on keeping it happy, and once it gets big, crazy, and hard to keep, maybe we'll have another person with experience to discourage stores from selling these (potential) monsters.
Um why give him advice? He didn't ask for any nor pose any issues he is having.
To keep it happy longterm he needs a tank bigger than he's willing to get.
Stores don't stock stuff if people don't buy it. They stock it ONLY because it sells. This whole "it's there to buy so it's ok" argument and the "animal is there so it's ok that I KNOWLINGLY treat it less well than it should be" argument is a crock IMO.

HomaridNoob6
01-29-2009, 05:14 AM
I can't disagree. I thought he was asking for help on how to care for it, but reading back, maybe not. I'm just hoping maybe something constructive could come from this. I do not believe either that just because a pet store has something it should be bought and mistreated. Or just because they stock it it needs to be bought. I agree, don't buy some of their stock and they wont get more. However, this RTC was already bought, and yes it needs a much bigger tank than most people can ever provide, doesn't sound like this particular fish will get that. I look back at what i said and laugh, i realized i was talking bout a RTC, they'll eat just about anything and still grow fast n huge and be happy eating, space is the real issue. That's the only reason i dont have one or more of them, don't have a tank with that kinda space.

AABatteries
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
Here's one that is about 18" in a 150... Makes the tank look a little small, doesn't it?

http://aqualandpetsplus.com/Catfis701.JPG

Gemini
01-30-2009, 12:27 AM
He sure does make it look small!!

Jeffbdd
01-30-2009, 12:56 AM
bout 75% of people on here own fish that will out grow there tank. Some lil faster than others. It dont matter if u guys like it or not it happens.
Ive come to find everyone talks bad when someone takes a fish that it can take 3 years to outgrow the tank and u expect them to take them back.
Im sure those people would luv to buy a bigger tank for their fish but it cant happen due to other expenses that may have bigger priority..

Gemini
01-30-2009, 01:50 AM
bout 75% of people on here own fish that will out grow there tank. Some lil faster than others. It dont matter if u guys like it or not it happens.
Ive come to find everyone talks bad when someone takes a fish that it can take 3 years to outgrow the tank and u expect them to take them back.
Im sure those people would luv to buy a bigger tank for their fish but it cant happen due to other expenses that may have bigger priority..

Sorry that we take our fishkeeping seriously and suggest to people that they do what is best for the fish as opposed to best for themself.
It might happen - but that does NOT mean I or anyone else has to condone it, nor ignore when it happens. Why not buy a fish suited to the environment you have? Why FORCE something to be miserable for your own enjoyment?

The other thing is - just because a fish can physically fit into a tank, does not mean it's growth is not being affected. Read about growth hormones etc in the water and how they affect fish.

Red
01-30-2009, 04:38 AM

thats a ignorant comment. 75% of people that don't do research or just in denial about what the truth is, buy fish for that will get the size of the tank they are in now. You can look in my 10 tanks and not one will outgrow my biggest tank that will be its future home.

AABatteries
01-30-2009, 12:43 PM
I know that 75% of people on here aren't in that situation. I have an oscar and a pleco in 55g which is pushing it. But every other tank of mine has fish that will do fine in it.

Jeffbdd
01-30-2009, 11:12 PM
I guess we shouldn't eat fish either, its kinda cruel and we really dont need it.
And just curious, We are putting fish in a cube LMAO, and u wanna talk about CRUEL, Do u really think fish r happy in a cube.

Tigerbarb
01-30-2009, 11:40 PM
I guess we shouldn't eat fish either, its kinda cruel and we really dont need it.
And just curious, We are putting fish in a cube LMAO, and u wanna talk about CRUEL, Do u really think fish r happy in a cube.If the cube is large enough, the fish can live long, healthy, happy lives in a cube. Would you consider it cruel to have a zebra danio in a 50 gallon tank? Hopefully not, 50 gallons is alot for a zebra danio. But wouldn't you consider keeping a yellow tang in a 30 gallon tank cruel? Hopefully so, since yellow tangs require lots of swim room to graze in and get to be a decent size. It all depends on what fish you are keeping, what size of tank you have, and how many hiding places you provide, Jeffbd.

Red
01-31-2009, 01:02 AM
I am going to end this argument with you. Have a nice day.:22:

Demi ^_^
01-31-2009, 02:57 AM
I used to have 2 Balas, yup they were wittle and they were such wittle, wubbly, sch-weeethaaarrttss! Only got them tiny too..

But heck, what nutty lil buggers they were in a 42g! Small, but they didn't have enough space! I tried for AGES trying to re-home until finally the LFS agreed to take them back and put them in their huge 200g+ show tank..

BABY fish get BIG! And with RTC, they don't get big, they get HUGGGGGEEEEEE!!!!

It is cruel to buy a fish that will get to big for what your willling to house them in.. I have learnt my lesson, don't wait like I did, you might not be so lucky in re-homing your fish as I did..

You have supported your LFS by purchasing this gunna-be-huge-fish, which means more will be stocked into the store because obviously to them, they know the customers will keep buying!

Kaz
04-07-2009, 11:38 AM
bout 75% of people on here own fish that will out grow there tank.

And 72% of statistics are made up on the spot!

[sarcasm/] You could always release it into the wild when it gets too big! HeYuck![\sarcasm]