PDA

View Full Version : Algae eating fish

PUNISHER VETTE
01-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I know it's been discussed quite a bit but maybe just one more.

I am in need of some algae eating fish. I used to have 3 otos and 3 Amano shrimp but with my fish handling skills i'm down to 1 of each.

Now i've heard the Siamese algae eaters are preferred over the Chinese but I can only find the Chinese in local stores.

I may be able to get more otos if you think they are more useful then the CAE.

What do you think a good number of any of them would be for my 110g tank?

I guess I should look for the easiest to care for/the hardiest.

Sharkman
01-23-2009, 10:48 PM
I have an SAE and it was a good algae eater for awhile, but he got into the flake food that i fed my other fish and he won't accept algae anymore so that is a downside to the SAE. You could get a ton of otos. Like 12 maybe. Are you opposed to a pleco? In a 110g you could get a common pleco. Or even a couple bristlenose plecos. They stay small and eat algae. Other than that, you are sort of stuck.

Sharkman
01-23-2009, 10:49 PM
what else is in the tank? I'd refrain from the CAE, they can get kind of nasty towards other fish.

troy
01-23-2009, 11:46 PM
You should get otos since you already have one. Just make sure they are the same species as the one you already have.

doug z
01-24-2009, 02:47 AM
Yeah, I would just get more otos and some BN's..

Hard to get the right species of "SAE", trust me.. :(

PUNISHER VETTE
01-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I would just get more otos and some BN's..

Hard to get the right species of "SAE", trust me.. :(

BN's??????

doug z
01-24-2009, 03:05 AM
Dude, bristlenoses..

Work with me! LOL

If you had other big fish in the tank, a common pleco would be ok..

But if there are just small community fish in the tank, it would look weird, in my opinion..

snapdragon9
01-29-2009, 07:49 PM
It is good to have fish that are specialized in feeding on algae to help keep it at bay...it is also more productive, (in controling algae) to go even further to the root causes. Depending on the water used for replacement such as water changes, RO water vs. tap water plays a part in the accumulation of phosphates. Phosphates contribute much to the growth of algae. Also the kind, strength, and duration that we have the lights on in the aquarium also play a large part.

Algae eating fish depend on a nutrient called spirulina, which is found in many dark green, leafy vegetables, (as well as algae). It is a good idea to add a spirulina rich supplement to their diet. Romaine lettuce, zuccini, or cucumbers rubber-banded to a rock just before you go to bed is a great way to supplement spirulina. Algae waffers are good too, but check the label of the ingredients of the waffers because a lot of fillers such as corn are added primarily.