PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Glo Fish?

Lauren B.
02-04-2007, 01:30 AM
Hi all!

I was perusing a local aquarium store today (joining this forum inspired me to go!) and I came across Glo Fish. I'd never seen them before and was instantly in love with these little beauties. They loosely resemble zebra danios in size and body style, but have 2 white stripes down a neon yellow or neon pink body. And when I say neon, I mean NEON! These little ones were so bright that they had their own little aquarium display in front of the store, containing matching neon gravel and neon plants/decor. Does anyone here have any experience with them? Are they appropriate for a beginner? As well, how are they when it comes to breeding (I'd previously mentioned my "no babies" preference). Also (and not so important, but I was just curious), was the store's $6.99 price per Glo Fish about what they run? I think I could make a really fun decor with these little guys if they're appropriate for me!

As well, if Jeffs99 is reading, thank you so much for your previous comment on my writing style! What a pleasant and unexpected compliment!:rolleyes: <--(that's the closest smiley I could find for my blushing coyness!) I fancy myself somewhat of a writer (although professional literaries would disagree) and I do try to keep the layout of posts interesting and easy to view as to invite more readers. Thanks again!

Lauren B. :1luvu:

vdub
02-04-2007, 01:41 AM
i have 5 of these glofish danios. they are the easiest to take care of in my opinion. yes around $7 a piece is about right. i have heard that they will not reproduce also. the down fall is these fish are geneticaly altered fish as a embrio they are injected with jellyfish dna this is what makes then so bright in color. this is a point that you must decide if you want a altered fish some frown apon it some dont but i recomend you read about how these fish are altered before you decide to buy them. im not swaying your decision on buying or not buying them due to the fact i do own some as stated but decide if altered fish are for you.

Lauren B.
02-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Thanks for the info, vdub. Genetically altered fish?...I didn't know they existed, but it doesn't surprise me. I definitely will look into that, as I am an animal welfare activist and generally do not like invading our world's species when wholly unnecessary. Thanks again for the info on that.

vdub
02-04-2007, 02:07 AM
not a problem just glad i could help someone for once with something lol:thumb:

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2007, 04:09 AM
I will never buy altered or dyed fish. and tattood

its just cruel.

good luck with your aquarium!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

vdub
02-04-2007, 04:54 AM
i agree but i didnt know that these fish were subjected to this kind of treatment when my wife got them and i didnt want to get rid of them as it would be cruel to do so. i know this sounds stupid but that is why i will not get altered fish again:thumb:

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2007, 05:02 AM
I have nothing against you v-dub. They should have signs up that the fish are altered. Dont get rid of them. Its sad that your lil buddies will die young cause they were altered

Lauren B.
02-04-2007, 06:23 AM
I will never buy altered or dyed fish. and tattood
its just cruel.

Dyed and TATTOOED fish?! That's abominable! Can you explain how that is done? (I'm almost afraid to ask, but people need to know).

jeffs99dime
02-04-2007, 01:37 PM
this link should explain most of what you want to know about that-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2990

Abbeys_Mom
02-04-2007, 02:38 PM
Lauren, I love how your boyfriend in last in your signature, lol.

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2007, 04:30 PM
a needle and stinging dye. Even super innocent fish like corys are died, and mollies have pink hearts tattood for valentines day

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2007, 04:39 PM
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/show_article.php?article_id=72

I used to know a single site on dyeing and it had a petition to sign to ban dying and tattooing, but i forgot it

Lauren B.
02-04-2007, 06:09 PM
this link should explain most of what you want to know about that-
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=2990

Thank you so much for passing that link and info along. I, personally, am one more person that you've alerted and educated on these heinous practices....all because the earth's species aren't "pretty" enough for some! :flipa: <-- I can't find a mad face so I'm giving the finger!
I'd seen the fruit tetras before and little did I know what they were going through. NEVER will I purchase or support these practices!

Lauren B. :flipa: <-- I'm still mad, so there's another flip off!

cocoa_pleco
02-04-2007, 06:14 PM
:flipa: :flipa: :flipa: :flipa:

to all you dyers!!

Lauren B.
02-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Lauren, I love how your boyfriend in last in your signature, lol.

It's because he takes just as much, if not more, work than all my 12 pets combined! :ezpi_wink1:

I told him I wanted to set up an aquarium soon and he's picturing a huge triple-digits gallon tank on a huge stand with a massive droning filter (he travels so I haven't been able to show him the size of the little 5-gallon shrinky dink tank I want). He's probably picturing me buying several huge oscars for my allegedly "massive" tank! thumbs2:

Lauren B.:1luvu:

jeffs99dime
02-04-2007, 07:44 PM
It's because he takes just as much, if not more, work than all my 12 pets combined! :ezpi_wink1:

I told him I wanted to set up an aquarium soon and he's picturing a huge triple-digits gallon tank on a huge stand with a massive droning filter (he travels so I haven't been able to show him the size of the little 5-gallon shrinky dink tank I want). He's probably picturing me buying several huge oscars for my allegedly "massive" tank! thumbs2:

Lauren B.:1luvu:

whoa!!! 11 cats!

Lauren B.
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
whoa!!! 11 cats!

It gets even better....I did foster work and had up to 15 fosters at a time on top of my 11 cats. My computer room then magically converted into my "foster room"! My foster number was this high when it was kitten season and there were sick and dying newborns everywhere or when there was an outbreak of ringworm.

So yes, all of my own cats were homeless or shelter animals at one time and seven of them are considered special needs. Their degree of neediness varies from a one-eyed cat and a no-eyed cat (not very special needs), to special dietary issues (medium neediness), to severe allergies and heart conditions (severely special needs...and expensive!).

I also had a Chihuahua who passed away last January at the age of 16 1/2, and a Chinese Crested (dog) who passed away a few months ago, at the age of 17, the day after Thanksgiving. I'd had them both since I was a teenager.

I love each of my past and present pets with all my heart and would get more if I could.

Lauren B. :goldfish: :cat: :cwmboom2: :oink: <--lover of fish, cats, monkeys, and pigs (I love snakes, dogs, and moose too, but I'm limited to only 4 icons here!)

vdub
02-05-2007, 12:49 AM
i know it wasnt directed towards me cocoa its all good!

cocoa_pleco
02-05-2007, 02:52 AM
its alllllllll gooooddd:wolfgang: :elkgrin: :nibble6: :12:

Incredulous_Ed
02-05-2007, 09:54 PM
You could just buy regular zebra danios. One of the easiest fish to take care of.