PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a leak?

Hordfest
01-23-2009, 04:13 AM
Do we have a how to fix a leak thread for aquariums? I have a 10g that leaks and I'm curious how to go about fixing it. :(

rageybug
01-23-2009, 04:20 AM
It's as simple as re-caulking the tank with a fish friendly caulk. Your LFS probably has what you need. Just make sure the tank is 100% dry before re-caulking.

cocoa_pleco
01-23-2009, 04:27 AM
scrape off the old silicone with a razor blade and reseal with new silicone. remember, silicone desnt stick to old silicone

but still, factor in $4 for silicone and a couple hours work its easiest to get a new 10g for $10

korith
01-23-2009, 04:41 AM
Probably have to remove the trim too, then the remove the panel that is leaking. Then scrape off the old silicone, and use some alcohol, once it's dry and clean, apply new silicone, put it together, and clamp it, then put on trim and let it dry out for a few days. Or just buy another empty 10g at walmart for $10. You might be able to get away with just a patch job of putting silicone at the point where it's leaking, but that can be iffy.

cocoa_pleco
01-23-2009, 05:09 AM
ive had success without removing the panel, i resealed a 29g and i didnt need to remove the panel

you can try just puting new silicone over the old, but like korith said its iffy. better to spend $10 on a new tank than $1000 in water damage

Hordfest
01-23-2009, 05:24 AM
yea i was thinking about buying a 9.99 one at wal-mart. the people i bought the 10g and 20g from with filters and hoods were nice. but unfortunately, they both were chronic smokers living in a trailer so everything is smelling like smoke and needs a major scrubbing. (fortunately the 20g doesn't leak, i bought the 20g and they basically threw in the 10g free) Not only that but the milennium 3000 filter that came with the 20g is completely soaked in algae. so I gotta figure out a way to remove algae and years of smoke stains. any ideas? please i need all the help i can get!!

Northernguy
01-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Vinegar will help with the outside of the tank.
The filter should be scrubbed clean easy enough.
What part of it has the algae?

Hordfest
01-23-2009, 05:57 AM
well the inside of the tube that sucks up the water and the two overflows that put the water back in the fish tank are especially covered. is it safe to use steel wool to scrape it?

HomaridNoob6
01-23-2009, 06:15 AM
Holy heck, they must have smoked A LOT to leave tanks smelling of smoke!

korith
01-23-2009, 06:26 AM
I'm assuming you have no fish in the tanks. You can take everything out of the 20g tank, and use a vinegar/water solution and let it sit for a bit or you could even use bleach, then clean it, and rinse it very well. The tubes should be removable you can clean them with whatever you like, vinegar works well, or just high pressure with water, scrub it.

Anywhere you are using bleach or vinegar, just remember to rinse it very well. You can even soak some items in a tub. Afterward maybe rinse and soak with some dechlorinator in there. Then let dry, once the bleach/vinegar smell is gone, should be ok to use. Any place there is a lot of buildup on the tank, you might have to use a glass scrapper.

Hordfest
01-23-2009, 06:30 AM
Holy heck, they must have smoked A LOT to leave tanks smelling of smoke!

yea, in fact, my dorm room spells like me and my room mate both just finished smoking a cigerette. it's that bad!

but i'll try the vinegar/water mix sometime soon and see how that works.

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't bother trying to repair for the price of a ten gallon tank. More bother than worth the trouble.