PDA

View Full Version : bad tapwater

paradigm04
01-23-2009, 02:12 AM
just need a little confirmation on the best COA (which is hopefully the one I am taking).

Started a fishless cycle with distilled water-did a 90 percent water change and then used tap (wanted the hardness of my tap and the minerals) and treated it with stress coat. The tank is an aqueon 26 gallon bowfront kit, with a gravel substrate, artificial plants and one piece of live wood, as well as a few rocky hiding spots. Currently a pair of mbunas reside in there (a kenyii and a demasoni).

I have been doing frequent tests and noticed my water hovering around the 1.0 ppm for ammonia...daily water changes and af ew days later, its still at 1.0 ppm. I retested my tap and low and behold it is actually at 1.0 ppm (though it has perfect hardness for the mbunas, right at 7.8-8.0)

Tomorrow (i have already completed a water change today) I plan on doing a 33% water change with distilled water with the hopes of minimizing the ammonia. It doesn't seem to be going down and since the tank is still young it isn't taking care of the ammonia quite fast enough.

the kenyii isnt doing so hot. the demasoni is doing fine-no longer shy and getting used to the surroundings, curious and watching me. Neither are eating like I would like because they don't seem to be willing to come up however I think they are still stressed. The kenyii hides, stays low key and doesnt do much. Both are breathing relatively heavy however swimming fine and pooping fine as well as the breathing is not out of control.

Ironically enough, they are getting along great as well.

Any advice? Again, I plan on doing a distilled water change tomorrow however am not looking foward to losing some of the hardness.

Thanks

Heliwyr
01-23-2009, 06:00 AM
Stress coat != dechlorinator. Get yourself some dechlorinator, add it to the tank and then add it everytime you do a water change.

Lady Hobbs
01-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Stress coat is dechlorinator!

I don't think I'd keep jumping back and forth from distilled to tap.

A fishless cycle is not cycling WITH fish but without fish. Please read the links at the bottom of this post.

paradigm04
01-23-2009, 04:02 PM
I have been using stress coat to treat the tapwater already.

I am aware of the differences and methods between a fishless and a fish cycle.

I have only made one "jump" fromt distilled to tap and that was the gist of my post I guess no one caught on to--what should I do about the ammonia in the tap water? I have been treating with the stress coat and the cycle doesn't seem quite ready to keep up with the ammonia from the tap and the fish.

any help is much appreciated

Northernguy
01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
If you are having trouble cycling with fish than add some Tetra Safe Start or something simular to that.It will give your cycle the boost it needs.
As for your tap water containing ammonia,contact your water treatment plant and make them aware.

paradigm04
01-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm using the stress zyme-I might check for safestart today I just had no luck the last few times finding it depsite the fact most places carry tetra products.

I called the water quality people-they told me 1 ppm is normal. Sounds healthy..cough cough...they just kind of scoffed it off. Not that I am paranodi or anything but he said unless its over 1 ppm don't worry.