PDA

View Full Version : pH - CO2 Update

Scuba Guy
02-03-2007, 08:06 PM
I finally found a Kh test kit.

My Kh reads 15 on the Kh scale.
My pH reads 7.3 in the morning and 7.7 by night.

According to 'Chuck's Planted Aquarium Calculator' my CO2 is 23 ppm in the morning - 11 ppm at night - which is good for plant growing. Seems like my CO2 injection is o.k.

The plants reduce the CO2 in my tank by half during the course of a day (12 hours). Very interesting.

cocoa_pleco
02-03-2007, 08:29 PM
perfect:thumb:

Lady Hobbs
02-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I was just looking at one of the DIY CO2 injection systems and it says to run the CO2 line into the uplift filter so the propeller can help dissolve the particles. How can a person do that when the uplift filter has a strainer on the bottom?

How do you have yours going into your tank? I also wondered if I could put the line right into the HOTB filter? The DIY projects sometime worry me on something like this as you have to be able to regulate how much CO2 goes into the tank. Over 20 is hazardous to your fish. Your readings sound perfect.

Scuba Guy
02-06-2007, 08:25 PM
You don't have to have the line run directly into the uptake, just underneath it is sufficient. The bubbles will be sucked in by the intake and dissolved that way.

Ideally your bubbles should be very small to begin with or you might have impeller problems (gas cavitation). Get one of those wood airstones and use that to generate a poor man's version of the glass bead diffuser. They work great albeit not forever.

Lady Hobbs
02-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Thank you. Can't say as I've even heard of a wood airstone but certainly taking your word for it since I know squat about planted tanks and CO2 and all that jazz.

jeffs99dime
02-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you. Can't say as I've even heard of a wood airstone but certainly taking your word for it since I know squat about planted tanks and CO2 and all that jazz.

coralife makes one, i believe (wood airstone)

cocoa_pleco
02-07-2007, 02:36 AM
i bought the most simple co2 thing. You put the fizzer in a little cup, run a hose in the tank, and a square with air in it slowly dissolves co2 into the tank