PDA

View Full Version : Coral Beauty & Green Star Polyps...

rageybug
01-22-2009, 03:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the Coral Beauty will eat the Green Star Polyps but I'm not sure. Has anyone here ever kept them both in the same tank? Most places that sell the Coral Beautyl will tell you they are "reef safe with caution". I know some are more nippy than others and it's kind of a roll of the dice when you get them. Just want to hear about any success stories of keeping them together... if they exist.

cocoa_pleco
01-22-2009, 03:43 AM
i kept them both in the same tank, but ive heard of them nipping soft corals

rageybug
01-22-2009, 03:50 AM
i kept them both in the same tank, but ive heard of them nipping soft corals

Thanks... what size was that tank? Did it nip at anything in your tank?

cocoa_pleco
01-22-2009, 03:51 AM
55g and he touched nothing.

alot of times keeping fish well fed will curb coral nipping, but theres always the odd exception

coachfraley
01-22-2009, 03:51 AM
Those fish are a total dice roll. I have heard good and bad, but it seems to me that I have heard more good than bad.

I think it is worth giving a try. They are VERY pretty fish.

If he is a nibbler, you could always catch him and take him back to your LFS (or give him away to someone with a FOWLR).

Good Luck

rageybug
01-22-2009, 03:58 AM
Okay, thanks for the info... I think I'm going to give it a shot! My wife has wanted a Coral Beauty forever and I think I'll surprise her tomorrow.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-22-2009, 04:05 AM
I've not had a Coral Beauty specifically, but I did have another member of the Cyntropyge genus, a Flame Angel, in my tank along with Green Star Polyps. I didn't have any problems with it. That said, there is no guarantee with that genus, it is all individual. My LFS usually keeps their Flame Angels and their Coral Beauties in their Coral Tanks without issue. I'd just keep an eye one him and see if you notice any problems. They are an absolutely beautiful fish and GSPs really add a lot to a reef tank as well.