PDA

View Full Version : smallest pleco

sueshewoman
01-21-2009, 06:22 PM
would someone mind letting me know which is the smallest pleco .
i have been looking at all the forums but still car,nt find out which is which.
i am thinking of getting 1 but untill i know how big it would grow dare not just in case i buy 1 that in a few month would out grow my small tank .
thankyou SUE

Rue
01-21-2009, 06:37 PM
It's the rubber-lipped I believe...

korith
01-21-2009, 06:57 PM
There was a post with the exact same question a while ago, here is a link to it
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=33142
Some good info there, or well at least names of the pleco.

Rue
01-21-2009, 07:02 PM
...I've never seen most of those for sale...

Too bad...we could use a little more variety...

korith
01-21-2009, 07:06 PM
...I've never seen most of those for sale...

Too bad...we could use a little more variety...

Best place to see rarely found species I've found is at local aquarium clubs. Some lfs may be willing to special order for you too.

ILuvMyGoldBarb
01-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Well, technically, members of the Otocinclus genus qualify since they are in the Loricariid family. O. vittatus even has it's own LDA number. No member of the Otocinclus genus exceeds 2.1" in length.

sueshewoman
01-22-2009, 01:33 PM
thankyou korith i have saved that i will have to do some reading be4 i go out & buy . sue

toddnbecka
01-22-2009, 05:09 PM
If you mean the 55 in the first post, it's already overstocked, and the last thing I'd recommend would be adding another fish. Also, considering the number of bottom-feeders already in the tank there's even less stocking space for a pleco. The final consideration would be feeding. If the tank has a heavy algae growth/good lighting a BN sould be the best choice. They're more veggie-oriented than almost any other species (Oto's are delicate, schooling fish), and could be fed occaisonally with cougrette or cucumber, which the other fish would likely ignore (as opposed to competing with the pleco.)

Northernguy
01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Hi Sue!
I agree with the Bristle Nose pleco.Its a good algae eater and is fry freindly.
It should be alright in your tank as long as you are still doing your weekly water changes.

jd6405
01-24-2009, 03:15 AM
How about a clown pleco?