PDA

View Full Version : Another Question/ Live plants

geminidragn
01-21-2009, 05:20 AM
I have another question. What kind of live plants are ok to use with Betas?

I know that there are certain plants that are not good to use with Betas; that are poisonous or make the chemical levels go up faster.

I want to get some live plants because I am tired of plastic ones and I want to make sure that I get the right kind that will not harm my guys.

Any ideas or suggestions?

karbomb
01-21-2009, 05:34 AM
i'm not sure of any plants that are poisonous to bettas.
i would suggest anubus. its slow growing, but has big leaves, my betta used to love it.
i'm also not sure what you mean by chemical levels. if you mean nitrate, nitrite, ammonia and ph. plants will only help. they use nitrate as a fertilizer.

Gemini
01-21-2009, 07:16 AM
I'm not sure what you mean about bad live plants either.
I would go for java ferns, or vals, or anubias. My betta likes any plants. He'll sit on anything thumbs2:

bettagirl
01-26-2009, 02:14 AM
Go with leafy and ones they can hide in i just did a nice 5 gal planted and G.B. my female loves it.

AABatteries
01-26-2009, 02:26 AM
Well, what kind of lighting is on the tank?

Lady Hobbs
01-26-2009, 03:16 AM
Excellent point AA! Plants must reflect the kind of lights you can provide. Small tank probably means not much light so stick with only low light plants like was mentioned above ......anubius on wood, crypts, wisteria.

betta_Mike
01-26-2009, 06:38 AM
A great plant I'd recommend is actual a moss. Java moss is a great low light low maintenance not to mention relatively cheap/available plant that I think any betta would enjoy. thumbs2:

Slow Cheetah
01-28-2009, 05:01 AM
i second that
i have java moss in my tank and my betta lounges on it half the time =D