PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with the Cycle now?

snipesxxx
01-20-2009, 04:03 PM
I been fishless cycling since around Dec 2nd and I didn't get any nitrite reading till the end of Dec. Finally I did and they shot through the roof within a few days going up to 5ppm. Around the time 2-3ppm of ammonia was dropping to 0ppm after about 24 hours or so. Once it did I bumped it back up and continue checking it and the nitrites. I only checked the nitrites ever couple days. Well past 3-4 days the Ammonia barely moved and right now it stays at 1ppm or little lower. After checking it this morning and seeing 1ppm I thought well nitrites I am sure is still through the roof but no they are now at 0ppm which is suppose to be a good thing, yet the ammonia remains.

Anyone know what could be up?

Link to my original post:
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=34760

Alfcea
01-20-2009, 04:21 PM
The ammonia is being metabolized. No worries. Just do not add any ammonia any more. After a large (40%) water change you should be able to start adding fish safely. I wouldn't add too many, but you will be fine.

snipesxxx
01-20-2009, 04:33 PM
The ammonia is being metabolized. No worries. Just do not add any ammonia any more. After a large (40%) water change you should be able to start adding fish safely. I wouldn't add too many, but you will be fine.

how many would be safe to add to a 29gal to start? Say some barbs or something.

snipesxxx
01-21-2009, 01:39 PM
BTW what do you mean when you say the ammonia is being metabolized?

Lady Hobbs
01-21-2009, 01:55 PM
I am totally right on with Alf!
All you did was add too much ammonia when you started seeing nitrites. This is why the ammonia should be dropped way back at this time.

Alfcea
01-21-2009, 04:09 PM
BTW what do you mean when you say the ammonia is being metabolized?

Oh, sorry, I meant to say that the ammonia is being transformed into nitrites... and eventually nitrates.

snipesxxx
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
So is it ready for fish or no? Someone on another forum said its not cycled yet.

lovleeko
01-21-2009, 07:34 PM
So is it ready for fish or no? Someone on another forum said its not cycled yet.

Do you have nitrate?

snipesxxx
01-22-2009, 12:16 AM
yeah 80 or so.

lovleeko
01-22-2009, 12:22 AM
Oh yeah..... Do a huge water change. I'd go with 80 percent or so, which will take care of the excess ammonia and start adding fish. You probably just added too much ammonia is all. Even a well cycled tank can only eliminate so much within a certain amount of time. Get some fish! you did it!! :19: thumbs2: Make sure the nitrate is below twenty and start stocking. Being that you have been feeding the crap out of the bacteria you could probably add quit a bit. Some even do it the way you did on purpose (adding more ammonia than needed) so they can fully stock the tank.Anyway, congrats.