PDA

View Full Version : in need of a skimmer...

snapdragon9
01-20-2009, 02:53 AM
My 7 mo. old reef has been thriving, with all params at zero...it is a 29 gal tall with PC's...aquaclear 30 and magnum 350 canister. I do weekly wc's @ 20%. I never ran a skimmer on it, I compensated with large water changes weekly...I also use phoslok in the canister to help with phosphates due to the tap water being pumped in from wc's.

I have had small bouts with red slime in the past, as well as other algaes but nothing in plague proportions. Is a skimmer is going to help out with the algae issues? Regardless I'm going to get one, but what does everyone think of the biocube 29 skimmer? It would fit nicely inside my tank, I will still continue to do water changes, but maybe 10% when I have the skimmer. I'm looking forward to the replies....

The Wedge
01-20-2009, 03:02 AM
Tunze 9002 or Remora for that size. My Tunze 9002 is very impressive. I bought several cheap skimmers, and had to return or junk every one of them. Because I thought buying a cheap skimmer would some how be better in the long run; I wasted too much time and money. Do some research definitely. I would read about the reviews on that particular skimmer before you buy it. Do not read the reviews on the site selling it...just a hint.

cocoa_pleco
01-20-2009, 04:56 AM
i heard the biocube skimmers are junk, i would get a tunze 9002

jimpierce
01-20-2009, 07:04 AM
I've had good luck with my coralife. Those Tunze look pretty cool. Do they adjust easy?

snapdragon9
01-21-2009, 12:33 AM
you would figure the biocube skimmer to be a good product coming from oceanic, but I'll look into it...thanks!

cocoa_pleco
01-21-2009, 01:46 AM
lol, lots of people have had bad experiences with oceanic, just ask Sailor about his

ive heard nothing but bad about the skimmer and its powered by a airstone too which isnt the best