PDA

View Full Version : Guppy Fry Cycling?

Chrona
02-03-2007, 01:16 AM
I am posting this question for a friend of mine, who found 4 guppy fry in his tank today, which was a surprise to him because he was told both his guppies were female. Is it possible to put them in a 10 gallon leader that has not yet been cycled? I tried to convince him to just put them in a floating container temporarily until the new tank is cycled, but I think he just wants to use this as an excuse to get another tank ;) Leaving the fry in the tank is not really an option btw, since it's already really crowded in there, and it is only loosely planted. I figured if he put a plant or two in the 10 gallon tank, it should be fine. Am I right? Sure the tank would cycle slow as heck, but 4 fry shouldn't create any kind of significant ammonia/nitrite spike right? It'll be like 1 inch per 10 gallons...heh.

Abbeys_Mom
02-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Female guppies can store sperm for 7-9 months. They can breed as early as a few weeks old. Chances are your friends guppies are both female. I would not put the fry in the uncycled tank. Fry are sensitive and it would kill them. Put them in an in tank breeder net, or move some of the other fish from the tank. IMO they stand a better chance in the tank with the adults, then they would in an uncycles tank.

Chrona
02-03-2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks, I'll pass the word along. I've had like, no experience with breeding/babies until a week ago...heh

AquaQueen
02-03-2007, 03:41 AM
I leave my babies in with the Mom, they seem to be just fine.

Chrona
02-03-2007, 10:21 PM
He says he saw 1 get eaten before he could grab the net. I thought livebearers were supposed to give off some hormone during birth that inhibits hunger?

Incredulous_Ed
02-04-2007, 12:14 AM
Live bearers eat their young all the time

Chaindriven
02-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Live bearers eat their young all the time

Ed is correct; most often, the female will consume the young.
One of my prized females will eat as many as she can; another will have only interest in them and will not bother them at all. I have a Dwarf Platy that is very maternal and appears to protect the little ones. I believe it all depends on the fish.

muffin
03-03-2007, 07:57 PM
He says he saw 1 get eaten before he could grab the net. I thought livebearers were supposed to give off some hormone during birth that inhibits hunger?

I've read that somewhere as well.. but it doesn't exactly last all that long. basically enough time for the fry to get out.. figure out what the heck is going on.. then find the nearest hiding place. maybe a little longer than that.. but yeah... livebearers do like to eat their young.

When my mollie had her batch of fry I let them fend for themselves for a week and then decided if they could live though treating my tank for Ich that they were worth catching and keeping.. but I know that Mommy Molly would have loved a couple extra snacks