PDA

View Full Version : What should I get after my tank is cycled

ninteen66mustang
01-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, and to the hobby in general. I just set up a 10 gallon freshwater tank a couple days ago. Right now it has 2 platys and a dwarf gourami to cycle the tank. If you have any suggestions about cycling the tank let me know.

I am trying to figure out what fish I want when the tank is all cycled. I like a bunch of different kinds, but I mostly like colorful and interesting looking fish. The guy at the fish store said male Gouramis are agressive, and I will not be able to get other agressive fish. However, I have found other info online saying they will get along, but it just depends on the individual fish sometimes. So far, I havent even seen him interact with the Platys.

Here are some fish I like:
-Neon Tetra
-Angelfish
-Puffers and Sharks in general, but I dont think they will work in my tank
-Killifish
-Mollies
-Swordtails
-Some loaches
-Rainbowfish

What of those will work together in my tank? Also, are there any other fish you think I might like?

Thanks everyone.

Northernguy
01-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Welcome to the AC!:22:
Here is some info on cycling:http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=5640
What have you added to your tank to boost your cycle?
you have a long list there for a ten gallon tank!

wolf_eyes
01-19-2009, 11:00 PM
I think you're pretty much stocked as is. A ten gallon doesn't have a lot of room for fish. You could maybe add one more female platy and then maybe some shrimp or pygmy cories for a bottom dweller.

also gouramis are very sensitive to uncycled tanks so i would suggest taking this fish back to the store until you finish cycling your tank. Have you ever heard of fishless cycling? It's a little faster than cycling with fish and you don't harm the fish in the process. Another benefit is you can almost stock your tank fully after the process is done. Since you've only had the fish for a few days the store should take them back.

fish cycling takes a lot more time and effort from you. I did it for my 10 and it really is rather annoying. I kinda envy my roommate who is doing a fishless cycling and making her tank look perfect before the fish ever go in. You will have to test your water for ammonia and nitrites everyday and change about 3 to 5 gallons of water each time your ammonia or nitrites get over .5 on the test. This is to make sure your fish are the most comfortable during the cycling stage, even though this really isn't recommended.

ninteen66mustang
01-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Northern- I'm not planning on putting all those in my tank! Im just trying to get a better idea of what to put in once the tank is cycled. I havent added anything to assist in the cycling process. Recommendations?

Wolf- I have had the platys for about 3 weeks now and the gourami was kind of a present, so I wont be taking the fish back. I didnt hear about fishless cycling until earlier today. I know its easier, but I think this will work. As for the Gourami being fragile, most websites I have seen say they are good for cycling tanks, and the guy at fish store recommended it over other fish. I'm gonna go buy a testing kit soon so I can keep they ammonia and nitrates in check. Also, I think I still have decent room for more fish. Granted, I wont get a bunch of big fish, but I plan to follow the 1inch per gallon rule.

Thanks for the help guys. Let me know if you have any other advice.

Heliwyr
01-20-2009, 06:28 AM
Northern- I'm not planning on putting all those in my tank! Im just trying to get a better idea of what to put in once the tank is cycled. I havent added anything to assist in the cycling process. Recommendations?

Wolf- I have had the platys for about 3 weeks now and the gourami was kind of a present, so I wont be taking the fish back. I didnt hear about fishless cycling until earlier today. I know its easier, but I think this will work. As for the Gourami being fragile, most websites I have seen say they are good for cycling tanks, and the guy at fish store recommended it over other fish. I'm gonna go buy a testing kit soon so I can keep they ammonia and nitrates in check. Also, I think I still have decent room for more fish. Granted, I wont get a bunch of big fish, but I plan to follow the 1inch per gallon rule.

Thanks for the help guys. Let me know if you have any other advice.

The 1-inch per gallon rule is nice, but also a load of rubbish.

What the rule doesn't take into account:

-Bio load. Some fish are messier than others, and some are extremely tidy.
-Activity. Some fish need more room to swim in comparison to their size.
-Schooling. Fish who school will need more room in the tank so they can school together...it's sort of like considering the size of the school as one fish. Can that big multi-bodied fish move around okay?
-Aggression/Compatibility. Some fish just don't work well together.
-Planted. A heavily planted tank can actually increase the stocking capacity of your tank a little bit.
-Filtration power. Powerful filters can also increase the stocking capacity.
-Size of the adult fish. Can the size of the adult fish move around freely.

wolf_eyes
01-20-2009, 01:04 PM
I agree with what Heliwyr has said and i would also like to add that the reason i suggested a smaller amount of fish is because you have a male and female livebearer and unless you kill the babies you're going to find yourself out of tank space quickly. A female platy can give birth to 50-100. Even if the parents and gourami eat 90% of them that's still 5-10 fry that make it a month.

Also while gouramis are normally very hardy, recently a lot of people have been having trouble with them dying mysteriously. Those are the only reason I suggested what I did.

Good luck with your fish cycle, just make sure that you keep a very close eyes on the water parameters!

Sharon
01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Assuming the Gourami survives the cycle, you could possibly add 6 Neon Tetras, after the tank is cycled and stable. Your tank would be overstocked, but manageable with diligent water changes. Take back the Platies, or the tank will be overcrowded with fry( assuming you have a male and female). Don't add another Gourami, as the tank is too small, and there will be territory issues.

troy
01-20-2009, 02:37 PM
After the tank is cycled you could add 6 pygmy corys( corydoras pygmaeus).