PDA

View Full Version : Hornwort vs. algae? Allelopathy?

Alfcea
01-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Hello everyone,

Does anyone know about hornwort being used to fight algae? Does it really release substances that prevent algae growth in a tank? Any type of algae or just certain types? I don't think it is miraculous, but.... any information will be very much appreciated...

Thanks,

Naturestee
01-20-2009, 04:24 PM
I have lots of hornwort but I still have some algae. I haven't heard of it releasing chemicals to keep algae away- maybe it just keeps algae from growing on it's leaves? I've noticed that mine usually doesn't get algae on it even if it's floating. It does grow fast, so it sucks up nutrients that the algae would otherwise get.

troy
01-21-2009, 01:10 AM
Maybe because it grows fast it sucks nutrients needed for algae growth.

Faith_at_Large
08-31-2009, 03:34 AM
I've read that Hornwort competes with algae for nutrients and if floating blocks out some of the light. I never heard of it releasing anything, but I am very new to live plants.

I am looking for Hornwort in Edmonton, Alberta, for my ten gallon tank. I have new Platy fry to protect (and possible future fry), and a tank brimming with algae. I hope to take on two problems with one simple solution. Not to mention a start with live plants. Which will work a lot better if I find some live ones.