PDA

View Full Version : Dead rainbows! Beware of product!

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Honest to pete. My bows are having a rough life at my house!

I bought some dechlorinator last week called Geneis. If you saw another post I had written about my blood parrot being stressed and finding ammonia in the water, I mentioned I was suspicious about this dechlorinator not working as it should. And I was right!

Yesterday I dipped a couple plants in a bleach solution for about 2 minutes then soaked them in Geneis dechlorinated water for 20 minutes or so. I was plenty generous with this dechlorinator since I had decided I didn't trust it.

I put the plants in my 29 gallon tank and then added my ONLY three turquoise bows to this tank hoping for a spawn. I woke up this morning to both males dead and the female struggling.

Do Not Buy This Stuff
http://akamai.edeal.com//images/catalog3684/folder24579/img3041825med.jpg (javascript:openWin(lastvalue);)
I am posting Big Als about this today.

Sharon
01-18-2009, 01:08 PM
Oh....so sorry about your Rainbows!!!:scry: I haven't seen that stuff here, yet, but will be avoiding it! Thanks for the info.

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I would add it to the review section but have no idea where it is! Fishalicious told me 3 days ago and already I've forgotten!

FOUND IT. It's in the left hand menu, where I never look. LOL

Deleted User
01-18-2009, 01:12 PM
Oh Jeez sorry about your loss Lady Hobbs. :scry:

How do these companies get away with selling products that don't work ?

I wouldn't just be getting in touch with the place you bought it. You will never be able to replace your breeding rainbows. I would write to the company directly too. You could have lost all your fish. I hope if you decide to go in that direction you get somewhere with them. :ssmile:

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2009, 01:35 PM
I could have gotten 20 other types but thought I would try this one. Lost the cycle in two tanks. They don't care, ya know. Today another dummy will come along that wants to try something new and they will get their money from them too.

Deleted User
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
I could have gotten 20 other types but thought I would try this one. Lost the cycle in two tanks. They don't care, ya know. Today another dummy will come along that wants to try something new and they will get their money from them too.

I used to use the Tetra min one but I didn't like the stuff turning my water blue every time I used it. A friend recommended Aqua plus to me which I have used now for a good few years with no problems at all. I did try stress coat and started loosing fish so switched back. It is that , that made me stick to what I know and can trust. I hear you with regard to " they don't care ". In some cases your right. It is a shame they can't do for our fish they HAVE TO for other animals we humans decide to take on. :scry:

Lady Hobbs
01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
The female is doing fine now but is really out of the loop during the morning spawning frenzy. She's sitting in the corner looking jealous and watching the action going on all around her.

fins_n_fur
01-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Very sorry to hear about your rainbows! Definitely write up a review to keep others from making the same mistake and using that product!

Rue
01-18-2009, 03:25 PM
I'm so sorry! :scry:

sandy_n
01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
OMG, sorry to hear about your rainbows. :scry:

angelcakes
01-18-2009, 04:08 PM
sorry for your loss:scry:

Northernguy
01-18-2009, 11:11 PM
Thats awful news lady Hobbs!:11: Sorry to hear it!
I also swear by Aqua-Plus!Its always done good by me.

Demi ^_^
01-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Sorry for your loss.. :11:

I always use PRIME dechlorinater. 14 bcuks for a bottle, but my bottle has lasted me a year and I still have some left! lol

mac
01-19-2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the warning. That is why I keep to Prime. never had any trouble yet.

mac

Alfcea
01-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Hello,

Hobbs, I am really sorry about your loss :scry: ... And thank you very much for your warning...

I have checked the MSDS sheet (http://www.aq-products.com/AP%20MSDS%20Sheets/GENESIS%20GEC%20Issue%201%20.pdf) of the product. The active ingredient of this product, sodium thiosulphate (Na2S2O3) is very effective to neutralize chlorine, but it will ONLY work safely against chlorine. If your water is treated with chloramines, the product will be useless. Since this is a world forum, I don't think it is fair to raise the alarm everywhere since some parts of the world could still be treating their tap water with chlorine (i.e. Mexico) and therefore this product, if used as specified, will be safe to use there... Sadly, your water is not treated with pure chlorine and the use of this product ended up in this tragedy... Sorry about that...

karbomb
01-19-2009, 06:32 AM
sorry hobbs...that really bites.

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Hello,

Hobbs, I am really sorry about your loss :scry: ... And thank you very much for your warning...

I have checked the MSDS sheet (http://www.aq-products.com/AP%20MSDS%20Sheets/GENESIS%20GEC%20Issue%201%20.pdf) of the product. The active ingredient of this product, sodium thiosulphate (Na2S2O3) is very effective to neutralize chlorine, but it will ONLY work safely against chlorine. If your water is treated with chloramines, the product will be useless. Since this is a world forum, I don't think it is fair to raise the alarm everywhere since some parts of the world could still be treating their tap water with chlorine (i.e. Mexico) and therefore this product, if used as specified, will be safe to use there... Sadly, your water is not treated with pure chlorine and the use of this product ended up in this tragedy... Sorry about that...

All over the country, water companies in many area's have switched from chorine treatment to chloramine. And nearly all dechlorinators are manufactured to remove your water of both. There are very few on the market anymore that only remove chlorine and others have updated their products to do both.

I bet you could ask most of the people on any forum which method their water companies use and most would not know. So, why bother to buy a product that may kill your fish when you have 100 other products to chose from that will do both?

None of us know which day our water company may decide to switch sanitation methods and it is best to be prepared. If my warning will save one person from buying some crummy product causing them to lose their cycle and kill their fish, then my warning has served it's purpose.

Algenco
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
All over the country, water companies in many area's have switched from chorine treatment to chloramine. And nearly all dechlorinators are manufactured to remove your water of both. There are very few on the market anymore that only remove chlorine and others have updated their products to do both.

I bet you could ask most of the people on any forum which method their water companies use and most would not know. So, why bother to buy a product that may kill your fish when you have 100 other products to chose from that will do both?

None of us know which day our water company may decide to switch sanitation methods and it is best to be prepared. If my warning will save one person from buying some crummy product causing them to lose their cycle and kill their fish, then my warning has served it's purpose.

mainly price, I'll bet that product was much cheaper than Prime

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Actually it wasn't which ticks me off. shoulda, woulda, coulda !!!!!!!!!!

lovleeko
01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I agree lady hobbs. Thanks for the warning. That stinks I'm sorry for your loss:11: Like you said, no one knows which their company uses and can't know when they change it so better safe than sorry. And to loose the cycle in the tank is also a pain in the ***!!!!! For the fish that survived though must be one hardy fish!

Alfcea
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM

I totally agree with you Hobbs, however, I still think it is a bit too harsh and unfair to write a review that claims "Do not buy this product" without any further explanation...

I believe that a better review would be along the lines of: "This product does not work safely if your water has been treated with chloramines. In this case, ammonia will be released into the water which will lead to ammonia related death in fish. Use only if the local water has been treated with chlorine or hypochlorites. If unsure, avoid its use."...

And trust me, I don't work for the company that makes this product! :hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2009, 05:36 PM
I think something may have been misunderstand to start with here.

I soaked my plants in a mild bleach solution. Dechlorinator........even without chloramine........should have neutralized that bleach. That's what bleach is! This is not from doing a water change but simply by adding those plants that had been in the bleach.

I've done this 100 times with never a problem after soaking wood, rocks, plants, etc. All this product had to do was knock out the bleach. It did not. 1 capful is supposed to dechlorinate 250 gallons. 3 capfuls did not dechlorinate 2 gallons!

Adrian
01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
That really sucks Lady Hobbs! I am sorry for your loss. Never easy to have to replace fish. They have their own personalities, quirks, and habits that kinda grow on their owners.

I am in a pickle here, as the chlor-amx that I use, is no longer supplied, as the store I get it from went out of business. I set up an R/O unit, but I don't know if that will remove chlorine and chloramine out of the water. As such, seeing as the thing can only filter out 10 gallons a day, I have to find a new dechlorinator. I am extremely cautious to what I put in my tanks. API usually does pretty good with their products. Not sure why they didn't this time.

Hope things get better for you, and that you can find a different product that works.

Alfcea
01-19-2009, 06:05 PM
Hmmmm.... Sorry, Hobbs. I did misunderestimate (lol!!! Thank God it will be over tomorrow!!!) your post. I do not know what could possibly had gone wrong, but, as I said previously, sodium thiosulphate is known to be very effective in neutralizing chlorine and hypochlorites. I believe the problem was of a different nature.

Lady Hobbs
01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
That really sucks Lady Hobbs! I am sorry for your loss. Never easy to have to replace fish. They have their own personalities, quirks, and habits that kinda grow on their owners.

I am in a pickle here, as the chlor-amx that I use, is no longer supplied, as the store I get it from went out of business. I set up an R/O unit, but I don't know if that will remove chlorine and chloramine out of the water. As such, seeing as the thing can only filter out 10 gallons a day, I have to find a new dechlorinator. I am extremely cautious to what I put in my tanks. API usually does pretty good with their products. Not sure why they didn't this time.

Hope things get better for you, and that you can find a different product that works.

This is not by API but is some rinky dink product simply called AP. Perhaps trying to get in on the good name of API ?

Stick with the good products. Prime, Tetra Aqua Safe, Start Right, etc. Just don't go off the beaten path like I did. But yes, you will still need one of these products.

Wild Turkey
01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Sorry for the loss hobbs, just saw this thread. :11: :14:

What kind of bleach did you use? Im sure you know where im going with this.

Lady Hobbs
01-22-2009, 05:54 PM
Big Als description of this product.......

Removes chlorine and chloramine from tap water. Eases fish stress and helps fish form their natural protective coating. Use one drop per gallon.

Described as their most popular selling dechlorinator. *ya right*

Alfcea
01-22-2009, 06:15 PM
1 capful is supposed to dechlorinate 250 gallons. 3 capfuls did not dechlorinate 2 gallons!

Use one drop per gallon.

I think your problem was the ridiculously large excess that you used. The idea that you cannot overdose with one product can only be stretched so far. See, in chemistry we have a very well know saying: "The poison is in the quantity". Even seeminly harmless substances such as salt can be poisonus if administered in a large enough quantity. This poroduct has a chemical that removes chlorine very effectively, but it is very concentrated. When you used a large LARGE excess, some of the chemical was used up to neutralize the chlorine but the rest was left untouched. Did you rinse your plants after the bath? If you didn't, what happened was that some of the thiosulphate (a lot of it) was transferred into your tank and that large excess was what caused the death of your biofilter and ultimately your fish, I am affraid to say...

Yes, kindness can be a killer too...

lovleeko
01-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I overdose the crap out of dechlor. I was actually going to bring up a thread about that.

Sharon
01-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Guys, she didn't add the overdose to the tank...just used it to dechlorinate the plants after rinsing them in bleach....I'm thinking something else may be the culprit. I just used a new brand of bleach to disinfect some decor... it foamed when I ran water into the sink, almost as if there were soap in it...