PDA

View Full Version : Hi help needed

Jenni E
02-02-2007, 10:37 AM
We have just bought and are trying to set up a 4ft tropical tank.

We have added the water and plants. We will shortly purchase the initial fish (tetras and bristlenoses}.

Once these are settled we will start to get the rest.

My question is this;

Can you please advise the fish I should look at buying - I want the tank to have a good diversity including top, mid and bottom feeders. I will be spending a lot of time just gazing at my new pets.

Abbeys_Mom
02-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Have you read about "cycling"? If not, read the e-book on this site.

As far a fish go, tetra's are limiting, unless they are a larger variety. With a tank that big (55g or more I am assuming), you could get one or two of the following types.

Angels
Gouramis
Dwarf Cichlids
Rainbows
Mollies
Platies
Guppies

If you want a nice Top, Middle, Bottom tank, go for some gouramis, tetras, and plecos.

Or Rainbows, tetras and plecos.

jeffs99dime
02-02-2007, 02:48 PM
welcome to a.c. how many gallons is your tank? there's more than one type of tank too: rectangular, corner, long, cylindrical, etc..

Incredulous_Ed
02-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Welcome to ac
as jeff said, the shape of the tank determines what kind of fish you put in

cocoa_pleco
02-02-2007, 10:37 PM
yes, fast fish need longtanks, and angels prefer tall tanks

Jenni E
02-03-2007, 08:38 AM
The tank is 48" X 14" X 18", it is rectangular. My other question is now we have the starter fis, how long do I wait before adding others.

We have added bacteria and I have been told anything from 1 week to 1 month, so that the environment is right. Please note all fish are less than 3/4 inch at present.

Jenni E
02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
How do the kuhli's and bristlenose get on?

Lady Hobbs
02-03-2007, 12:52 PM
With plants, often tanks don't need to go thru the cycling phase but a Master Test Kit should always be on hand for testing the water for ammonia and nitrites especially. Ammonia and nitrites are both lethal to fish and only a few should be added at a time to keep the ammonia from spiking.

Very small angels in community tanks are OK for a while but it won't be long until a tank is needed just for themselves mostly. They need water of 80 degrees and the others you mentioned prefer water of 74. They're also more susceptible to community tank diseases.

Abbeys_Mom
02-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Kuhli's and bristle nose get along fine.

Jenni E
02-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks, we will get a master kit today. We will not add anymore fish until we have everything right.