PDA

View Full Version : Female Betta Sorority

ReptileLuver729
01-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I think I am gonna start a Female Betta Sorority! I have a like 2-3 year old female already. How do I start? Which ones are good canadites? How many? How fast?

Wild Turkey
01-18-2009, 02:40 AM
Wait 1-2 weeks after you finish your chosen cycling method to add more bio load. What size is the tank? for 3 bettas I would suggest no smaller than a ten gallon.

ReptileLuver729
01-18-2009, 02:42 AM
10 gallons.

Wild Turkey
01-18-2009, 02:45 AM
K, then 1-2 weeks after you finish your chosen cycling method, add another, 1-2 more weeks, then one more if you desire.

s72450
01-18-2009, 03:34 AM
I'm going to differ here, I think it's far easier to introduce the females into the tank at the same time so they don't already have claim to parts of the tank.

I have a 10g going with four females in it and I've done it both ways, the first time around I introduced them seperately and one beat the others so badly that I ended up losing three of them. This time around I introduced all four at the same time and I've had success.

Another thing of note, please please please have lots of hiding places. My 10g is heavily planted with a large piece of driftwood in the middle, lots of places to rest and hide if needed and I think this makes all the difference.

Good luck and don't get dissapointed if things don't work out so well the first time around. Do your research and pay close attention to your tank and your females. I would recommend doing this when you don't have to work and can spend a few days at home watching.

lovleeko
01-18-2009, 03:39 AM
Oh how I hate to do this. But this would definitely be a good reason to do a fishless cycle because you do need to add the females at the same time. If you did the cycle fishless you could up how much ammonia you are feeding the bacteria so that you can go ahead and stock the tank with whatever and this would allow you to add the females at the same time. The female you have in there right now is not going to allow them to live peacefully and will have to be moved for a good while and then the tank will need to be redecorated for a sorority to have a chance and not to get you down but sometimes it still doesn't. Ask someone who knows. IE me

Wild Turkey
01-18-2009, 04:25 AM
I didnt want to break into that issue first... thats why i didnt mention it before....but I agree with Lov here, do a fishless cycle and you can add all 3 bettas at once, lowering the possibility of territoriality coming into play.

Good post lov, thanks for not making me be the one to say it:hmm3grin2orange:

Sharon
01-18-2009, 12:10 PM
You'd need five in a 10 gal. If there are three, there may be trouble, as a bully may emerge...

s72450
01-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes it's best to have more than three like Sharon said.

ReptileLuver729
01-18-2009, 06:49 PM
What do I do about my 3 year old that is in the tank already? How long do bettas live?

wolf_eyes
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Bettas live2-3 years usually, but if properly taken care of they can live longer. One of my friends had a betta that lived 8 years. I'v heard other account of 5 or so as well.

edit: do you still have her bowl? What you could do is, after your tank is cycled, you could buy the other ones and then put her back into teh 10 at the same time. I'm not sure if this is a good idea though because she's middle aged at best, old at worst and the other younger girls may beat up on her pretty bad.

ReptileLuver729
01-18-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes I still have her bowl and it is pretty BIG for a bowl. She is a VERY fast swimmer so I dont know if she will get picked on. With the Tetra Safe Start can I put that in the tank while she's in it? Does it really work? What does it do?

wolf_eyes
01-18-2009, 07:42 PM
Tetra safe start has hibernating bacteria in it. I haven't used it myself, i used a similar product called nitrivec. Lov may be able to tell you more, I think she's used safe start before. From what I've heard you're supposed to put the whole bottle in the tank.

Wild Turkey
01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Its the nitrifying bacteria in a bottle basically, its going to do what seeding the tank from another filter (your other tank) would do. Just not quite as fast or effectively. Its for people who dont have the option available.

wolf_eyes
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
She may be fast, but she could still get hurt. Bettas tend to have an alpha female and then a "number two". This is why people suggest more than 3 because the two top females will sometimes relentlessly beat up on the submissive girl. if she becomes the omega(bottom female), then she's going to have a lot of stress on her. I would suggest maybe letting her live the rest of her life either alone or with some really peaceful tank mates in the 10. That way you can enjoy her for the rest of her time on earth and she can be relaxed about it:)

ReptileLuver729
01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
She is a really ugly betta that is why I wanted to do a sorority to add some color. She is like a brownish gray color.

lovleeko
01-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Tetra safe start is awesome. I have used it three times. A lot of my established tanks have one piece media (which I hate) SO this is a good option for me when I can't use media. Wolf eyes is right about moving her of course. But really the opposite could happen with the older betta. See think of it like this. There is a very big chance that the breeder of the bettas you see in the petstore was using a common tank to house the females which a lot of breeders do (I also will do this when I get my fish room all done). And female bettas can be quite young when you get them because it doesn't take as long for a female betta to get her finnage. Its kind of like an old dog stuck in her ways. She has been alone for so long that she may never tolerate another betta. Where as it has been a lot less time since the other females have been housed with others. But you never can tell, the other females may have been with a breeder who cupped them but it is less likely. The cups take more time and energy on the breeders side of things. Going with five could work because if you need to move one because of aggression it is not as big of a deal. With three of them. If one is a trouble starter you can't leave just the two. Think of two male bettas together because this is what will happen. But yet then you have less space for the five to get away from each other. Complicated huh. I know. But can be very rewarding when you look at that tank full of beautiful bettas if all works out.

ReptileLuver729
01-18-2009, 08:36 PM
If I get the 30 gallon size bottle do I pour the whole thing in? In the tank right now the decor is this vase that is a fish with its mouth open wide, these 2 neon rainbow hiding things and I am gonna add 3 plants and a HUGE seashell. Is this enough stuff to keep them busy?

s72450
01-18-2009, 08:39 PM
At her age though, it's probably best to not introduce her into a situation where there is alot of stress and aggresion because at first they'll peck it out to find and order and then settle, but for older bettas it can be very dangerous.

You could get her some tank mates and give her a very nice long life in the other tank. I'd start with younger females for your sorority.

ReptileLuver729
01-18-2009, 08:47 PM
UPDATE! Ok so I totaly messed up. My betta isn't even a year old yet. I was getting confused sorry everyone. I got her early 2008 but it was so long ago that I couldn't remember and was thinking that I had her longer. OOOooops!

lovleeko
01-18-2009, 09:12 PM
If I get the 30 gallon size bottle do I pour the whole thing in? In the tank right now the decor is this vase that is a fish with its mouth open wide, these 2 neon rainbow hiding things and I am gonna add 3 plants and a HUGE seashell. Is this enough stuff to keep them busy?

Yes you add the whole bottle. It would be even better if you got more plants but it sounds like you might have sufficient hiding spots.